Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |

This topic has been moved to General Talk.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » i need some serious advice from my ford family (Page 1)

Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: i need some serious advice from my ford family
Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Cobra  Ford pictures for Ms. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok guys so here's the deal......
I go into walnut creek ford dealership today because i wanted the service department there to check my engine in my 97 GT....For the past week, everytime i start my engine, a grinding metal rattling sound always accompanies the start of my car. I knew that something was wrong and at first i thought it was an external sound like my mufflers coming loose or my pistons rattling around but the guys at the dealership listened to it and told me that its one of three things:
1. its a cracked flywheel and needs to be replaced
2. its my pressure plate or the teeth in it are bent
3. its my throw out bearing(he says because i never replaced the stock ford bearing when i put in my spec racing clutch and my short throw that it probably broke from the4 pressure)

Can anybody tell me if that sounds right to you? [Confused] Also they told me that for them to find out for sure what the problem is, i would need to spend like $345 JUST TO LOOK AT IT!!!!!(thas not with parts)

I really need advice on this please....thanks

Lauren

Posts: 1208 | From: East Bay Area | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like either something to do with the clutch or the starter. I'm sure there's guys on here that wouldn't mind taking a look at the starter or dropping the tranny for a cute girl. Just get 'em some beer and they'll be happy. If not, take it to some place cheaper than Ford and have them check it out. I wonder if clutchmart or some place like that would know for sure if it is something to do with the clutch.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well 1st thing is who did your clutch
did you buy a new clutch or used
did you replace the flywheel or at least resurface it, also if you bought the clutch new how come they did not repplace the throw out bearing it comes with the kit

??????????
if they think the noise is comeing from that area , their could be some thing worng with the clutch set up.

I would need to hear the noise to say more positive if thats the problem

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rip off
its not the throw out bearing, if it was it would make noise whenever the clutch is in, or most of the time

its not the pressure plate because it would do it more than just when it starts

i vote for it being the teeth on the flywheel, broken teeth are not uncommon, the flywheel just needs a new outer teeth ring, maybe a starter if the starter gear is messed up

[ April 30, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: 66 AC COBRA ]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Cobra  Ford pictures for Ms. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for everyone's advice thus far.....see in answer to your question javier.....its a spec stage one racing clutch....Matt(9cobra8) installed it.....it was bought brand new....only 3000 miles have been put on the clutch since installation....and "no" the flywheel was never resurfaced because there was no time when we finally got to actually taking it out....damn! thats probably the problem right there.....well ok here is my next question....i will pay someone to help me by looking at it and helping me fix this problem before it gets worse....Man!!! Right before the car show too....... [Frown] [Frown] [BS flag]
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i could do it all in about 4 hours on my lift but i will not be in town until may 9, and i know u dont want to waint that long, good luck fixing it
[patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are its either striped teeth on the flywheel or the start isn't engaging properly.
Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

damn......how much work would it take to fix this problem and how much estimated cost would it be in just labor????
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilmustangcutie:
thanks for everyone's advice thus far.....see in answer to your question javier.....its a spec stage one racing clutch....Matt(9cobra8) installed it.....it was bought brand new....only 3000 miles have been put on the clutch since installation....and "no" the flywheel was never resurfaced because there was no time when we finally got to actually taking it out....damn! thats probably the problem right there.....well ok here is my next question....i will pay someone to help me by looking at it and helping me fix this problem before it gets worse....Man!!! Right before the car show too....... [Frown] [Frown] [BS flag]

well I would of resurfaced the fly wheel couse it could creat problems

but it if the noise only happens when you start the car and then does not happen again it might be a starter problem or the flywheel teeth broke

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
damn......how much work would it take to fix this problem and how much estimated cost would it be in just labor????

well it would take me a few hours to fix it [Big Grin]
and parts would not now how much in parts till the problem is figured out

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Chances are its either striped teeth on the flywheel or the start isn't engaging properly.

I'd have to agree with Sawson...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you checked the starter gear to make sure it is disengaging i fixed a simular problem on a customers 98 gt

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say its the starter not disengaging right i've hear that noise on my friends beaters many times before. Starters usually go for 300+ dollars i think. Plus labor....maybe around 500 bucks altogether depending on who you take it to. Its an easy fix though. You should get it fixed as soon as possible before it chews up the flywheel teeth. If it has damaged the flywheel teeth that could be a big job and would be $$$.

[ May 01, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
I'd say its the starter not disengaging right i've hear that noise on beaters many times before. Starters usually go for 300+ dollars i think. Plus labor....maybe around 500 bucks altogether depending on who you take it to. Its an easy fix though. You should get it fixed as soon as possible before it chews up the flywheel teeth. If it has damaged the flywheel teeth that could be a big job and would be $$$.

no starters are under 200. somebody off the boards could throw it in for you (dont want to quote a price for other people)

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for the starter not fully disengaging after the motor starts up! [burnout]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add my vote for the STARTER itself.

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

hey guys
thanks for everyone's input in helping me with this problem....

Update: I took it to a friend's shop in downtown concord today to have his opinion of whats going on and he discovered that its not actually AS bad as i thought it would be.....basically to make a long story short, when Matt and i put the starter back into my stang after we installed the clutch, we left out the third starter bolt because of the hassle it gave us when we had to unbolt it in the first place. We didnt think it was necessary to put it back and as a result, the clanging noise is from the lack of stability in the starter when it engages and disengages.

Not as bad as i thought but still it sucks that i can hear the noise everytime i turn the engine on.....Arghhhhh [Mad] oh well its my fault for not putting it back in....So whomever said that it was the starter was absolutely right! [Smile]

thanks for the help

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"So whomever said that it was the starter was absolutely right!"

I know i am usually right.

[ May 01, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

quote:

yea its too bad tho that u werent the first person to say it....thanks for repeating the problem again [Roll Eyes]

[ May 01, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: lilmustangcutie ]

racerboy69
¯
Member # 2730

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racerboy69  Ford pictures for racerboy69    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ May 01, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: racerboy69 ]

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

hmm really i left that bolt off also and never had the problem just tightened the other 2 good
but yea its a bitch to put that bolt in

I have put them in
I learn you need long extensions and tons of patience

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
hmm really i left that bolt off also and never had the problem just tightened the other 2 good
but yea its a bitch to put that bolt in

I have put them in
I learn you need long extensions and tons of patience

yea javi i didnt believe that was the problem too but it kinda makes sense...the rattling noise was coming from underneath me and it was a slight jarring sound....and yea the third starter bolt is a pain in the butt....u DO need long extensions and hella patience.....which is why im not going to mess with it again and put another bolt back in.....lol [Wink] im through with that...good riddance [patriot]
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

yea its too bad tho that u werent the first person to say it....thanks for repeating the problem again [Roll Eyes]
If you dont want help dont post shit here [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic:
quote:
quote:

If you dont want help dont post shit here [Roll Eyes]
fyi: this was only directed at dana
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

who cares, dont be a dick when somebody is trying to help

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Page: 1  2   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com