Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » My Limited Slip is it working?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My Limited Slip is it working?
Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i've never used anything othe than street tires and my car has about 72k on it. it has had under 10 brake stands done (street tires) if that even matters. Anyways in the wet i hit it to the left a bit in second gear and get pretty sideways, it seems when i like floor it the same making a right turn my tire or tires just spin but i dont' get sideways......is there anything i can do to test if it is working properly?? thanks.....also how much do you think rear end specialities would charge to rebuild it?

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok from a dead stop if you try and burn the tires do you go straight or sideways?

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hit the gas, leave some marks, if u get a tire mark on both side that are about the same then it is workin well, if only one tire goes or one patch is very light, then u will be needing an appointment

i will test it for u if u want [Big Grin] [burnout]

[ April 29, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: 66 AC COBRA ]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
hit the gas, leave some marks, if u get a tire mark on both side that are about the same then it is workin well, if only one tire goes or one patch is very light, then u will be needing an appointment

i will test it for u if u want [Big Grin] [burnout]

I believe thats called a "road test" hehe

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is normal after 72k miles the clutches in the rear end have a good amount of wear. Meaning that there is less pressure to clamp your clutches together. You can have the clutches in your rear end shimmed to make up for the wear. Your car will always hit posi to the left cause it puts a load on the right tire which in turn makes the left spin. [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
crap, so i probably need it rebuilt. Do you have any idea how much they'd charge?

--------------------

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wait 'til you get some gears(if you don't already have them) and they usually tighten your posi up for free.

[ April 29, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: hopdup95 ]

Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its not that hard to do it yourself. The oil, sealant, and clutch packs will cost you about $100 in parts.

This artical has the 'how-to':

http://www.oldwestracing.com/articles/FTWOG.htm

The F-150 spring upgrade is optional and I won't reacomend it for the weak of heart since its a bitch to install.

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

some dude at rear end specialties quoted me like 850 including labor.......
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There was an obvious misunderstanding.
Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

ok cool, do you have a guess on aproximate price?? I mean they did my gears for 185 so I though they'd be pretty cheap.

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
There was an obvious misunderstanding.

Ya I would agree they will ussally "tighten" up when installing gears for next to nothing up to around $100. For $850 you could get gears, and a brand new Eaton posi installed!!! Maybe some axles too!

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Stimson
_
Member # 51

$100 if you do it yourself, $200ish if you have a shop do it.
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seems like Trak-Lok likes to spin both wheels to the left and only the right one to the right.(Unless you punch it while turning right IN MOTION.)

That's been my experience on 2 mustangs with low miles and the experience of almost everybody I know with a Mustang, even old ones.

Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com