Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Header bolts, can u use lock washers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Header bolts, can u use lock washers
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you use lock washers with header bolts?
Thanks.

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say no!! Lock washers are heat treated to get the spring to them and when used on headers they heat up and retain their new position. This is from personal experance with manifolds but I am sure some one will dissagre.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark,

Reuse as many of the stock studs as possible. I reused all but two of the stock studs. (I had to shave one of the rear ones to get it to clear.) On the remaining two I used bolts with lockwashers. I have had no problems with exhaust leaks.

Eric

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bullitt208:
Mark,

Reuse as many of the stock studs as possible. I reused all but two of the stock studs. (I had to shave one of the rear ones to get it to clear.) On the remaining two I used bolts with lockwashers. I have had no problems with exhaust leaks.

Eric

I was about to post this exact same thing. I managed to use all of my stock header bolts.... thanks to my craftsman crows-feet [worship]
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We weren't satisfied with reusing stock bolts, especially on cars that had some mileage on them, so we put together our own header bolt package that has since turned out great! Zinc-coated bolts that are longer than usual for more thread engagement, and SureLok washers that _won't_ unlock without a decent amount of torque.
I have them available and in stock for the 5.0 and 4.6/5.4. They're only $24.95 a set!

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I assume they don't have stage 8 like header bolts for the new stangs.

[ April 28, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: ray95 ]

Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just put on Apex's lock set and they worked out great. I through out the bolts that came with the ford racing headers and replaced with Apex's

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STOKED:
quote:
Originally posted by ray95:
I assume they don't have stage 8 like header bolts for the new stangs.

They do, summit sells them... you have to call them and ask about it...
if that's the case then i'd say get the apex or stage 8 bolts and be done with it.
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not use loc-tite??? I have aluminum heads and was having problems with bolts backing out hella easy from the heat differences. I was out of town and just grabbed some blue loc-tite and haven't had to touch them since.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:
We weren't satisfied with reusing stock bolts, especially on cars that had some mileage on them, so we put together our own header bolt package that has since turned out great! Zinc-coated bolts that are longer than usual for more thread engagement, and SureLok washers that _won't_ unlock without a decent amount of torque.
I have them available and in stock for the 5.0 and 4.6/5.4. They're only $24.95 a set!

I have used both stage 8 bolts and APEX bolts
and I like apex better they work a whole lot better then stage 8, alot more easy to install
and stage 8 some times the lock fall off with the engine bibration

one thing though when useing long tube headders their is 2 bolts that are hard to make work
couse of the bend on the long tubes

I think the bolt next to cylinder 3 and 8 the bottom one wont fit
you will need to use what comes with the kit and just put APEX lock or you can just cut the bolt which I would not do

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My header bolts were always coming out, after i used loc tite I didn't have much of a problem.

Not to steal your post but i'm about to get aluminum heads, will it still be ok to use the thread lock tite?

[ April 29, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Jerm95gt ]

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't had a problem with the loc tite on aluminum heads.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have locknuts on all my header bolts and I am leak free. Saves me time with the headers too because they never have backed out on me and I still have no leak. I have changed my H-pipe 4 times now and the only leak I had was I accidently didn't tighten the header to collector flange on the H-pipe enough. Other than that, I am very pleased!
Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
and I like apex better they work a whole lot better then stage 8, alot more easy to install
and stage 8 some times the lock fall off with the engine bibration

This is exactly why we stopped using Stage 8s and designed our own solution. We had lots of problems with the Stage 8s inexplicably falling off, which they definitely shouldn't do!

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com