Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What's a good Manifold

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What's a good Manifold
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, I've got the GT-40 upper and lower and was told that this is a pretty good manifold. I was thinking of selling it and trying to find a better one. Can I get a list of some good ones??? Thanks.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depends on what you have as far as your motor goes.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got the MAC cold air, 70mmTB, 30lb injectors with a Pro M, GT-40 (for now), Edelbrock Performer Heads, Roller Rockers, E-303 cam, and its bored .030 over.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hopdup95:
I've got the MAC cold air, 70mmTB, 30lb injectors with a Pro M, GT-40 (for now), Edelbrock Performer Heads, Roller Rockers, E-303 cam, and its bored .030 over.

I'd say ditch the heads they are the performers right, get some TFS or AFR's and an edelbrock intake

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
more than likely ur gonna keep the heads, so that gt40 will be more than adequate, i would just say portmatch the intake to heads and tb, then upgrade intake when u upgrade heads in the future

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

I don't know about ditching the heads, they cost me $1100 and I wouldn't get near that for them. Plus I can't afford to have the heads swapped and have only done work like that once so I wouldn't really trust myself. Are the trickflow heads or AFR heads cheaper than $1100??? I thought about an edelbrock intake but hella people said that the GT-40 was better than an RPM or Performer. Dunno. Anyways thanks man.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
I don't know about ditching the heads, they cost me $1100 and I wouldn't get near that for them. Plus I can't afford to have the heads swapped and have only done work like that once so I wouldn't really trust myself. Are the trickflow heads or AFR heads cheaper than $1100??? I thought about an edelbrock intake but hella people said that the GT-40 was better than an RPM or Performer. Dunno. Anyways thanks man.

For your application, the GT40 is good, the performer will get you more higher rpm power.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hopdup95,

Your intake manifold is fine for your combo. Have you ever had your car dyno'd or tuned with a wideband o2? Your 30# injecotrs are way too big and I can only assume that your car is running extremely rich. What is your base fuel pressure set to(vacumn line disconneted)?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
hopdup95,

Your intake manifold is fine for your combo. Have you ever had your car dyno'd or tuned with a wideband o2? Your 30# injecotrs are way too big and I can only assume that your car is running extremely rich. What is your base fuel pressure set to(vacumn line disconneted)?

thats what i was thinkin too, but if it seems to work with lower fuel pressure why not, atleast there is room for improvement

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say dyno tune your car!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. What should my approximate Fuel Pressure be set at with this set up???
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd set it @ 32psi with the vacumn line disconnected for starters.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Lightning Larry
¯
Member # 2737

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Larry  Ford pictures for Lightning Larry  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Hey, I've got the GT-40 upper and lower and was told that this is a pretty good manifold. I was thinking of selling it and trying to find a better one. Can I get a list of some good ones??? Thanks.

Port it and run it. [Wink] [patriot]

--------------------
04 Black Lightning
Admin. at www.SVTperformance.com

Posts: 541 | From: Redwood City Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running a GT-40 intake (ported lower) on my 331 and as you can see from my times, you could do worse. Is it the best manifold out there? HELL NO !!!! However, In my opinion, it is one of the best looking. Someday I will step up to an Edelbrock RPM but for now my GT-40 stays

Good Luck
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Thanks for all of your opinions. I think that the GT-40 is definately one of the best looking. I'll have to look around for an RPM or performer manifold. Those to me have just always been associated with CHEVY so I stayed away. Howabout the Track Heat manifold that everyone keeps talking about on this sight???
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Thanks for all of your opinions. I think that the GT-40 is definately one of the best looking. I'll have to look around for an RPM or performer manifold. Those to me have just always been associated with CHEVY so I stayed away. Howabout the Track Heat manifold that everyone keeps talking about on this sight???

Chevy?..Edelbrock make EFI intakes exclusively to the 5.0 [patriot]

I have an Edelbrock Performer, I like it...I ran 255rwhp with stock heads and cam, so it cant be that bad.. [Big Grin]

Keep the GT40!!! [patriot] ...I would extrude hone the lower if you're lookin for any added performance..Your just wasting money if you already have an aftermarket intake...Switching intakes with your combo will be worth about $400+ and about 5-10rwhp.(MAYBE!)....NOT WORTH IT.

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Hey, I know they make intakes exclusively for ford now. I have just been used to working with carbureted chevy 350's and the Edelbrock performer and RPM intakes seemed to be on everything. That's why i associated those intakes with chevy's.
90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know everybody tells me that my intake is way too big for my set-up(stockheads, stock cam)But you know what I like the RPM and it has given me pretty decent numbers and I still have the stock MAF and pullies. It had some better numbers out of the N/A setup.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com