Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel Pressure suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel Pressure suggestions
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys... I've got the FP set at about 40 at idle and it stills seems to be running rich. It backfires every once in a while and spits out smoke when I go WOT. I'm running #24ers with TFS TW heads, Street Heat intake, and stage 1 cam. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to set the FP at? Thanks!

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try dropping it to 38psi and see if it helps at all

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
try dropping it to 38psi and see if it helps at all

lol...thats what I would have said.

If the car is running rich, cut back on the fuel..thus drop the FP.

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check with the vacuum off, with vacuum off i would say about 44
on my cobra, i have gt40z heads and a holley intake, e303 cam, and 24's, i am running 37psi vacuum on, 43psi vacuum off and the a/f ratio on dyno was average around 13.5, u should have more power so a little more fuel could help

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would try adjusting your timming....If your running rich advance your timming..The richer you are the less your going to detonate.. [Big Grin]

If your car is backfiring its becuase you have the wrong timming and/or you have an exhaust leak somewhere...

The best way to check you fuel pressure is on the Dyno with a wide band O2...Its only $60 and worth it, just so your not guessing your fuel pressure.

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with putting it on the dyno with a wide band instead of guessing and checking. Make sure you don't have a mechanical problem like a vacuum leak, ect as well.

[ April 24, 2003, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a similar combo (TFS TW heads, Anderson cam, performer rpm intake) and best power seems to be ~ 37 PSI vac-off with 30#'ers

are you setting 40 PSI vac-off? that's the standard. 40 PSI vac-on is closer to 46 PSI vac-off.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I have a similar combo (TFS TW heads, Anderson cam, performer rpm intake) and best power seems to be ~ 37 PSI vac-off with 30#'ers

are you setting 40 PSI vac-off? that's the standard. 40 PSI vac-on is closer to 46 PSI vac-off.

Word [patriot]

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:
Hey guys... I've got the FP set at about 40 at idle and it stills seems to be running rich. It backfires every once in a while and spits out smoke when I go WOT. I'm running #24ers with TFS TW heads, Street Heat intake, and stage 1 cam. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to set the FP at? Thanks!

yea my bro had the same problem
with backfires, when we talked to byron he said it was lack of fuel
well once he dynoed his car it all went away
I guess the car was runing lean couseing it to bcack fire

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com