Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Battery cable routing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Battery cable routing
AtomicLabMonkey
Member # 2740

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for AtomicLabMonkey  Ford pictures for AtomicLabMonkey    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For those here who have relocated their battery to the trunk; how did you route the cable(s) back through the car? If going through the firewall and through the cabin, how/where did you penetrate the firewall... and if you ran cable under the car how/where did you finally penetrate to get the cable into the trunk? If so how did you secure the cable underneath the car? I'm having a hard time finding an existing port through the firewall to use and I don't want to have to drill a new hole through it.

[Confused]

--------------------
-Austin

Pics of my car here

-2003 Autocross events
*SCCA SFR/Sacramento Regions
*American Auto-x Series

Posts: 2 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just finished this this past weekend:

alternator: 2 AWG zip tied (shut up!) carefully down the engine compartment along the inner fender. I avoided the headers like the plague, went along the *inner* side of the subframe connectors (so as to avoid hitting it when jacking the car up). Also fed it through the tranny xmember holes (no movement there), and the hell away from the mufflers along the body of the car up and over the axle (the hell away from the control arms) and into the trunk through the existing hole above the gastank.

For the starter solenoid connection more of the same. Zip tied it down (1/0 welding wire) and avoided the control arms, mufflers, and headers. Used terminal connectors and drilled a 3/4" hole for the summit switch right where the rear license plate is (remove rear license plate at the track).

Basically I followed this guys install

buffhomer.corral.net

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I just finished this this past weekend:

AWG zip tied (shut up!)

hey, its better then bread tie's [Big Grin]

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
AtomicLabMonkey
Member # 2740

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AtomicLabMonkey  Ford pictures for AtomicLabMonkey    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know good places to get the plastic cable-protector sheathing (the black corrugated looking stuff) that you see wrapped around most of the stock wiring in the car? I think I've figured out how I'm gonna route the cabling now but I want to put the sheathing on it to keep it from wearing and shorting out somewhere (fire hazard).

--------------------
-Austin

Pics of my car here

-2003 Autocross events
*SCCA SFR/Sacramento Regions
*American Auto-x Series

Posts: 2 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AtomicLabMonkey:
Does anyone know good places to get the plastic cable-protector sheathing (the black corrugated looking stuff) that you see wrapped around most of the stock wiring in the car? I think I've figured out how I'm gonna route the cabling now but I want to put the sheathing on it to keep it from wearing and shorting out somewhere (fire hazard).

Most hardware stores should carry it. I got mine at home depot.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com