Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Does you guy's stang tend to tail whip in the rain??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Does you guy's stang tend to tail whip in the rain??
Mustangfiv0
¯
Member # 2231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangfiv0  Ford pictures for Mustangfiv0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When ever i drive my 88 gt mustang in the rain, it tends to try and tail whip on turns, do you guys hav this problem?? to day i was accelerating normally from the turning lane, and while i was making the turn the tail started to get side ways it seems to do this alot. is there any way to fix this? Gets sorta scary merging on the free way rite after it tryed to get sideways at a stop light lol [Confused]

--------------------
Hp cost money, How much are you willing to spend???
http://www.geocities.com/supra1on1/mycar.html

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe your frame is twisted? Get it checked by a frame shop. And if you don't have them, at the very least get subframe connectors and look into a G-load brace, shock tower brace and strut tower brace. If you have a ragtop, get a roll cage while you're at it. Your frame will stay straight and strong and your doors will close correctly for years and years to come [Smile]

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all the time.. its cool when i want to, but not when i dont... like going 70 on the freeway then hitting a little bump [Eek!] or spinning out on mission blvd while turning... o well....
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What sort of shape are your tires in? Also, keep at least 1/2 tank...helps alot.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much power are you pushing? tires also make a huge difference. my mustang actually feels safer in the rain than my corolla, you just have to make smooth movements

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Mustangfiv0
¯
Member # 2231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangfiv0  Ford pictures for Mustangfiv0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
how much power are you pushing? tires also make a huge difference. my mustang actually feels safer in the rain than my corolla, you just have to make smooth movements

its basically stock just h-pipe k&n and mufflers its lowered on intrax 2 inch drop, it just feels sorta slippery in the rain.

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
What sort of shape are your tires in? Also, keep at least 1/2 tank...helps alot.

Exacty what kind of tires??? As soon as I went to 17x9s all the way around rain became no issue at all. But stock tires tend to spin like hell

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Mustangfiv0
¯
Member # 2231

quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

Exacty what kind of tires??? As soon as I went to 17x9s all the way around rain became no issue at all. But stock tires tend to spin like hell
The tires are some brand named road huggers on the stock rim i wonder if its the tires?

--------------------

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went from some cheap 15" 225 michelins with good tread to kumho supra's and my rain problems went away BIG time. Actually, it was much more a pain in the ass to drive in the rain stock with the ghetto tires as it is now with h/c/i etc.

IMO, tires make a huge difference for the rain applications.

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car is a handful and 2/3 in the rain with cheap 225 worn michelins and a spool. I don't drive it if it looks like rain is a possibility.

any relatively new tire should help, unless you have a spool, lol.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its your tires [Roll Eyes] ....

Roadhuggers are not well known for performance...Roadhuggers are better known at Sears for 4 for $99...

Its obvious that you have a wet weather traction problem...If you had this problem in the dry and you had good tires, I would suggest a "Panhard bar", or at least some rear control arms..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
side ways all the time in the rain. Today was no exception. [Frown] I would have to vote tires
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get some bfgoodrich comp t/a 's zr rated tires.
pretty good all around tire.

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have seem f-ed up torque boxes make foxes squirrely in the ass end [Wink]

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes with locked rear ends, or limited slip diff's can get pretty crazy in the rain especially with some Mods. Its normal so just get used to it, or don't gas it around corners. It is fun though.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hopdup95:
Most Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes with locked rear ends, or limited slip diff's can get pretty crazy in the rain especially with some Mods. Its normal so just get used to it, or don't gas it around corners. It is fun though.

yaaa... [Razz] [burnout]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think anyone who drives posi in the rain should understand that this is not abnormal. Its rather fun.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com