Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help- Intake Manifold cracked- Recall#??!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help- Intake Manifold cracked- Recall#??!!!
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys... need your help. i've got a 1996 GT- on saturday, the stock intake manifold decided to pass away. radiator fluid leaks came from the thermostat region, but also, it seemed that there were leaks coming from the back part of the engine. I am not quite sure if that leaks is coming from the t-stat area and just going down the rear.
anyways, i've heard stories that Ford had a recall on the intake manifold. has any of you had this problem before? i wanted to know before hand, what i need to do before i take my car to the dealer. what will Ford cover? labor and parts?? any recommendable dealers?? your help is appreciated...thanks in advance.

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Philippians 4:13-

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ford will cover everything. you don't have to pay a dime. any ford dealer should do it for you. if you have to tow it there, thats out of your pocket.

btw, you are correct, there was a recall for this.

[ April 20, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
97M91 is the recall #
You will need to see if your car is still covered by the date though- here's what the recall says:(This no charge coverage is available for 7 years from the vehicle's warranty start date (no mileage limitation) and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.)

PM me with your vin # and i can check to see if it is still under the time frame

RO2USH
¯
Member # 2002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RO2USH  Ford pictures for RO2USH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they don't recal it for ya, I have an intake you can have for $100 + shipping. PM me

--------------------
2002 Roush FR500
2004 Cobra
1965 GT 350 Clone
2003 Ducati 999

Posts: 286 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys for the response!!
blue- i will PM you my VIN# later on in the day.
again, thanks for the help!!

3xblack GT
¯
Member # 1185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3xblack GT  Ford pictures for 3xblack GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bring it san leandro ford, no question asked they did it 1/2 a day...did mine last year
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
guys, good news one of the local dealers has agreed to replace the intake manifold free of charge.
i just need to find out: are there other parts that will need to be replaced or checked when they replace the manifold?? i'm just hoping that the heads were not affected....
thanks in advance, once again

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles is on the car and did you notice anything different b4 it happend or did it just crap out on you one day? I have a 97 with 63k and I hear thats about when they crack. Damn guess I will just have to get an aftermarket intake when it gose out.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

to answer your questions- my car has 80k miles. i noticed considerable power loss, heat build up and rough idle.
mine was still under the silent recall warranty(97M91) as noted above by BlueOval.
I got my car back today, the car pulls much better and idles smoother. but on my drive home, the check engine light came on and the RPMs hang a bit when i come to a stop, before it drops back down to idle. I will contact Ford tomorrow.....would you guys happen to know what causes this to happen??

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Triple-Play, when I got my 1997 GT the same thing happened, cracked manifold, covered under the recall warrenty. When I got my car back, the light came on and I think what happened is the plugs got a bit messed up from the leaking coolant. Who ever did your replacement, go back and see if they can't throw in another set of plugs under the warrenty, usually if you're cool with whoever the service advisor was who originally helped you, they'll do it. If not, check out Walnut Creek Ford (if you're close), and talk to Dan Castillo, he's *uber* cool, let him know what happened, and see if he can't give you a new set of plugs to go with your new Intake.

Hope it works out for you dude!

Teddy / Nick

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hrm I just re-read your last post, if the idle hangs a bit, it might be a vacuum issue, too. Or maybe the ECC is just taking time to re-learn. [Smile]

Teddy / Nick

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Teddy- thanks for the info---funny thing,I got my car serviced at WC Ford. You're right, they are good people. Dan has been there for a while. I actually had another service advisor. From the work order, it looks like the tech had done a EEC test- and found some fouled plugs. plugs were pulled out and recleaned. in regards to the hangin RPMs, i was suspecting some kind of vacuum leak as well, . I'm hoping that i won't have much trouble with getting this resolved...WC has been good for me. Thanks again for the info....

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com