Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Long tubes or shorties?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Long tubes or shorties?
92SilverGT
¯
Member # 2729

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92SilverGT  Ford pictures for 92SilverGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know of the ups or downs of having long tube headers over shorties? I have equal length shorties right now and its a pain in the ass to stop exhaust leaks at the header h-pipe collector. And I dont really want to take my car to a muffler show to have them rebend the h-pipe. So can anyone tell me what companies make some decent headers, mine are bbk by the way. thanks
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for long tubes, bbk's are the best bang for the buck longtubes, they arent the greatest by far, but they are definately not the worst
kooks  -

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going from shorties to long tubes. What H-pipe do you have? I had BBK's before and there were no problems. Ar you tightening them equaly when you did the install? Are you sure it is at the collector?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
for long tubes, bbk's are the best bang for the buck longtubes, they arent the greatest by far, but they are definately not the worst
kooks  -

I got my long tubes for $239 from summit. [Big Grin]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BBK sucks!!!!.....If you have anything bigger than stock heads your gonna have to port match the BBK headers...I'm running BBK shorties and I've personally welded on them a few times to stop leaks...

Are you sure that the leak is comming from the collector flange?...If it is I would re-tighten the H-pipe bolts EVENLY and torque them down A LOT!!...

For shorties I would recommend Ford MotorSport headers...They are very good quality and if you get the ceramic coated ones you'll find that they are coated inside and out(un-like BBK and other manufactures)..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just today ordered my shorts from Apex. I went with the ford motor sports.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Switch to long tubes, you lose the leak and gain a great amount of power. You will not be disapointed. Keep the shorties around for when you have to smog.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i take it you have exhaust leak with the x-pipe and shorties u wanna sale me

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have any leaks thank you very much because I don't mind spending the time to bolt them up just right, and sometimes you just get lucky, sometimes one set doesn't match with the other no matter what you do. I guess I got lucky, or I know how to tighten stuff up.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds good then =)

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com