Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ford 5.0 4 valve heads

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ford 5.0 4 valve heads
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone ever run the ARAO Engineering 4 valve heads on their 351 or 302? I'm setting up a "toy" and desktop dyno indicates 800+ hp with the heads. Two other contenders are the AFR-R heads and the Edelbrock Victors. I can play on the computer all day but would prefer to hear from someone who has been there n done that.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do a search for them on the Corral. As I recall, one guy actually ponied up the ridiculous price and then never saw delivary. The are an awesome idea- but the price is a bit much and I don't know of anyone that has actually purchased any.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Small block Ford Windsors are running 6 second quarter miles these days with our "old fashion" style heads, so why risk major time and money on something very unproven?
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why is it that when someone always trie to do something that no one has done on this board they always get shot down for it [Roll Eyes] [BS flag]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm giving away age secrets but I can remember when 9 in the quarter was damn fast. Sometime between then and now some folks tried new rubber compounds, head changes and changes some theories about what works best. You can either search out something new and make the footprints that others follow or you can follow being careful to stay in the same footprint. However, only one can be in front.

IF the 4V heads produce as desk top dyno and the manufacturer suggests, I may be able to get 804 hp out of a streetable project sleeper by using the Iron eagle block (454 cubi in). These are hard figures to swallow so I'm hoping that SOMEOME has used or knows of someone who has used these heads. I also get good theoretical results from the TFS-R and Edelbrock victor heads but no where near that of the 4v.

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look,
I am all for new technology and more power. BUT- I ahve been folowing these heads since they were marketed by Dominion. I have NEVER seen a set on any Ford or heard of anyone actually installing a set. I have read several reports about people trying to purchase these heads w/out success. So- just some FYI from someone that would love to try a set himself. Unfortunatley, they seem to be vaporware. If the Corral boards were up I would find the posts about them and post them here.
I would also love to try some Coates rotary valve heads, but they were only selling whole engines the last time I looked.

http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html

-

[ April 13, 2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not a Clevor?

351 Cleveland heads (4-valve, monster heads) on a 302 based shortblock.

Or just go all cleveland.

If you want to go cheap, Clevors (351 4-valve cleveland heads) on a 302 based block can run 10's on the motor, you may need access to a machine shop to keep the costs down.

corral.net is full of stuff on this.
talk to "raceallday" he'll love you for asking him about it.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
Why not a Clevor?

Or just go all cleveland.

If you want to go cheap, Clevors (351 4-valve cleveland heads) on a 302 based block can run 10's on the motor, you may need access to a machine shop to keep the costs down.

corral.net is full of stuff on this.
talk to "raceallday" he'll love you for asking him about it.

how would that work on a 351W?

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

I thought the "clevor" was the 4 barrel cleveland heads on the windsor block. I had a boss 351 in a jeep (2300 lbs) that I raced. One hell of an engine. Shifted at 7400 rpm. Yeah. Blew up two top loaders, dozen drivelines, axles, transfer cases and just about everything else but what fun, particularly with the big blocks. It was the ultimate sneaker. However, any number of heads on the market now will outflow those now plus the after market heads are lighter. I want my next test project to be something technologically advanced with show quality. I've looked at the rotary valves and the concept is good but doesn't leave much room in the engine bay. I know the 4v folks have a patent which prevents others from following their lead but I don't know if the heads produce or will stay together. It appears they have used quality materials but...???

How do the edelbrock victor heads compare to the TFS-R heads?

yipnip5.0
¯
Member # 175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yipnip5.0  Ford pictures for yipnip5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Why not a Clevor?

Dude, cleveland heads are not 4 valve.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

quote:
Originally posted by yipnip5.0:
quote:
Why not a Clevor?

He probably means 4V, which are bigger than 2V w/ smaller combustion chambers. The V was usd to denote Venturis, or carb barrels.

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

yipnip5.0
¯
Member # 175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yipnip5.0  Ford pictures for yipnip5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
quote:
Originally posted by yipnip5.0:
quote:
Why not a Clevor?

He probably means 4V, which are bigger than 2V w/ smaller combustion chambers. The V was usd to denote Venturis, or carb barrels.
He said "Clevors (351 4-valve cleveland heads) "

seems like he thinks the head has four valves...LOL

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
excuse me for being wrong [patriot]

I was just following the threads on the corral, never seen a cleveland motor

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

I suspect there is a cash flow problem. The concept is great and if there isn't a major flaw and run well everyone would want them. I have yet to find anyone who has run them. So whats next?

Desk top dyno suggests the Victors would be slightly better than the TFS-R heads for my application but I like the flow balance in the TFS heads better. I want to get more top end HP out of my engine so the high rise goes and a single plane goes on.

Any Ideas and or proven combinations for my 427-W ?

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Happened to find this on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411147653

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
375 on the intake side....are there any other 2V/cylinder heads that outflow those? I am a noob with flow #'s. Or are those heads gonna outflow pretty much all other heads. Also could you port those heads anymore then they already are?

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

lets say i did this on my current 302 (rebuilt to a low compression 306) and tossed in an f cam. then i fab up a junkyard twin turbo kit and a better tranny. is this the ultimate junkyard motor? [Eek!]
and a better fuel system of course [dance]

[ April 15, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com