Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Crazy vibrations (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crazy vibrations
MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiniMEE  Ford pictures for MiniMEE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 1989 Stang and it has all the usual mods if that matters. On the freeway the steering wheel vibrates like crazy. I am not sure what is causing it. When I am on the freeway and throw it in neutral it does not change anything, still a vibration party on my steering wheel. By throwing it in neutral, what does that eliminate? Can anyone tell me where to start to try to solve my irritating problem.
thanks

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother
homepage http://haywire.csuhayward.edu/~scarrill/quad.html

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try inspecting the tires for bulges, tread separation and balance. If everything checks out check for worn ball joints. I thin the problem is probably in the tires.
jt

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, if the steering wheel vibrates and not the shifter then I would probably think you have bad ball joints/ tie rods or shitty unbalanced tires...You could possibly need an alignment also..How are your tires wearing?

Basically you could get the tires balanced if you think they're not balanced...

To check your ball joints or rod ends, jack up the car and suspend the front wheels off the ground...Then place one hand at the top of the tire and the other hand at the bottom and push with one hand and pull with the other.(backwards and forwards)..If you feel/hear any clunk then you might have bad ball joints..

You can do the same "push and pull" thing but place one hand on the left side of the tire and the other hand on the right side of the tire..If you feel/hear anything left to right, its your tie rods...

Dont you have brand new tie rods?

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiniMEE  Ford pictures for MiniMEE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, I got brand new tie rods. I was looking on corral for "vibrations" in the seach and one guy that fixed his problem said that his pinion angle was off causing vibrations and also the D/S being out of balance. I did have my e-brake cable scraping on the D/S for the longest time before I replaced it. So maybe that could need balancing. Where can I go to get it balanced and how much is an average price.

My tires should be fine, I really doubt that is the problem.
thanks for the help

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote for a very out of balance tire/wheel.
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im pretty sure the problem lies in either your tires or some other part of your front suspension IF you are feeling the vibration through your steering wheel. if you had problems through your rear end, drive shaft, trans mount, etc...youd either feel it in the shifter or in the seat of your pants.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chosen1 brings up a good point.
MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

What else should I check for besides seeing if my wheels are balanced?

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine does that too but not as bad as you describe, I do notice the tranny vibrates though but only at about 120mph+ Don't ask how I know that. But the steering wheel vibrates at anything from 60+ sometimes bad sometimes not that bad. However I do know I need new struts really bad that could have something to do with it.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
GHOSTDOG
¯
Member # 522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GHOSTDOG  Ford pictures for GHOSTDOG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yah i agree with the tires also my 18's made my car do that and now i have the bullet rims and no problem also check for a non noticble bend in your rims

--------------------
hennessy lemon squeeze and green bud chillin in my stang with a mean mug

Posts: 320 | From: ANY LIQUOR STORE IN THE 510 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How old are ur tires i have had them vibrate bad because the tire was out of round sounds weird but it happens

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
v8toyota
¯
Member # 871

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for v8toyota  Ford pictures for v8toyota    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a bad or out of balance tire(s) to me. Try rotating the tires and see what happens, if the vibration moves to the back, its the tires.
MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

I cant roate the tires since they are directional and the the rear rims are made for the rear, not the front and wont fit.
Where is a good place to go in Fremont to get them balanced?
-Scott

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

Well its been raining all today, I couldnt check out some of the things I would have liked to, but I forgot to tell you that I can grab my steering wheel and move it up and down about 1/2 inch and left to right 1/2 inch as well. The 2 bolts that hold my wheel from coming loose are tight, do you think something inside the steering assembly is wore out?
Thanks

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it a tilt? If it is tilt or not how long has the vibe problem been going on? If it has been for a while it sounds like your vibe problem ( I think tires my self or bent rim) now has worn the shaft suport in your column or the joint in your tilt column. The column will not make the vibe by it self, their is something causing it. Get rid of the vibe first then find the problem in the column. In getting the balance checked on your tires they will tell you if your rim might be bent. Just let them know your problem when you go in . Good luck.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

Ya, it has tilt steering. Last night jacked up the front end of the car and tried push the top of the wheel, while pulled the bottom and it mooved about 1/4 if that much. Does this mean I need new wheel bearings?
Thanks

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

Roush97
¯
Member # 2303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush97  Ford pictures for Roush97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say before you go replacing any components, you go and get your tires balanced. That is the most likely cause. Go to America's Tires on Fremont Blvd. across from Kragen's. Have them balance your tires. My friend works there and he does a pretty good job. [patriot]

--------------------
FS: 1997 Roush Stage 1 GT; 03 cobra engine, T56, and IRS. 415rwhp, 445rwtq----SOLD

Posts: 292 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you know anyone taking auto tech in ROP, give them your tires and they can do it for free, or how ever much they want to charge you. You wouldn't believe how easy it is. It's rediculous. [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

Lol, I've taken 2 auto tech classes at Kennedy with Mr. Shultz and was going to sign up this summer for the noon class. I was just going to stop by with my wheels, say hi and balance them myself since I balanced them before and I made sure that they were perfect. Since I did balance them myself I dont really think they became unbalanced unless some of the sticky weights came off. Well I will let you guys know if they weren't balanced later.
Thanks

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

I got the front tires rebalanced...off .75 on each wheel, one on the outer part of the rim and the other on the inner....put it back on and most of the vibraitons are gone but there still is a little bit of steering wheel shake, which I think is due to my steering wheel being lose. And yes the 2 bolts behind the wheel are super tight. I think it is due to me have tilt steering...anyone care to respond?

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you have someone check your your bearings to see if they have too much play?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have tilt too, My steering wheel is fine all through 155mph... My shifter tends to rattle though

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

MiniMEE
¯
Member # 1009

the bearings had minimal play, when I pulled the top of the wheel and pushed the bottom, it only went in and out about 1/8inch......isn't that normal?

--------------------
TRY2PAZ's lil brother

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last time I checked 0 is normal but 1/8" is ok but still not great.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Roush97
¯
Member # 2303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush97  Ford pictures for Roush97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did the machine you used have a road force variation function? With aggressive tires and aftermarket or damaged rims you can balance them perfectly but you will still have a slight vibration. I doubt that there is anything else wrong with the steering or bearings. If you can take the tire off and check the bearing play with just a rim. The first time I checked for play in a bearing, it felt like there was some play but it was just the sidewall of the tire flexing/bending side to side making it seem like the whole wheel moved. Where you place the weights on the wheel also makes a difference even if the balancer says they are at 0. If your rims have lips on the inside and outside, use clip on weights, this is the best way. If you are concerned about the way the weights look on the outside, then you should use a clip-on weight on the inside and a sticky weight on the very outer edge of the inside of the rim. Sorry for the long post but I do this kind of stuff all day (its my job). Despite how simple balancing wheels seems there is a correct method to it and you would be suprised how many people do shity balances. [Big Grin]
Posts: 292 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com