Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Who can Port 4-Valve heads? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who can Port 4-Valve heads?
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a pair of 4-Valve heads that I want to port and polish. Does anyone know of a WELL-KNOWN shop that can do it and wont charge me and arm and a leg. And also where can I go to get my compression level on my 4.6L 32 Valve raised to a much higher one then stock?

Stanger91- doesnt your shop do that?

[patriot]

[ April 04, 2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: J's 4AXLR8N ]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well known and doesn't charge an arm and a leg!...LOL

You pay for quality. People that charge 300.00 to "port and polish" you stuff are nothing but hacks. For a $300.00 job you could do what they do yourself.

I know somebody that can do the work for you but he is not going to do a $300.00 cartridge roll for you.

If you are interested than E-mail me

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, watch out for anyone that uses the term "Port and Polish", that's a rice boy term and chances are high that person knows nothing about porting.

Check out Houston Performance. You really gotta look at Texas and further East if you want real Ford port work done in my opinion [patriot]

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why do you think you need to go to the East to get a good Ford "head guy"? I know of at least 5 shops in California that would put the big dog internet "Hype" companies to shame!

But, it all depends on what you want and how much money you are willing to spend.

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im willing to pay more then $300.00 for the port work. I need a shop thats local in the bay area or CA, but I'll look into Texas. Also can that person u know raise my compression level? I want some major work to my 4.6L 32 Valve motor, and need a reliable shop that nows Cobra motors, know of any?

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the reason we look to the east coast is that's where the Ford racers are at.

If you want a brand X shop to port your heads, hopefully they know what they're doing and maybe it will be great.

Personally, if I wanted my heads ported, I would send them to somebody with a CNC program for my particular head. I prefer the precision of a computer guided CNC machine!

For instance, Fox-Lake can port TFS heads to beyond AFR-185 specs for ~ $800 and the port volumes will be much smaller. It's kind of like what they're 'renegade' customers run, total overkill for somebody with a stock 302 shortblock, but hey...

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call up HCI in sacramento. good work at good prices. ask for cole

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

There are a lot of Ford racers on the West coast.The ultimate Ford racer

The reason why you recommend shops like TEA or Fox lake is because they undercut everybody's prices and they are on the Internet which makes them "all the rage." But ask them technical questions about port design and valve angles, rolling heads over and basically making a true set of custom head then they are lost. All they know is to put the head in the CNC machine and turn it on. Everybody gets the same lazy port design. But, for a street car I guess its ok.

From a get rich stand point there business is great. But, for racers other than street car racers and people that want to make power, those guys are nothing but a nuisance that fill people up with inflated flow numbers and visions of a great product that is mediocre at best!

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Eric

[ April 04, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: yellow67stang ]

--------------------
I like cars.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow67stang:
Why do you think you need to go to the East to get a good Ford "head guy"? I know of at least 5 shops in California that would put the big dog internet "Hype" companies to shame!

But, it all depends on what you want and how much money you are willing to spend.

Eric

This is one of the facts I love about this hobby. No one gives a crap who ports their heads as long as its "the best" and makes them win. If California shops were really "the best", I garuntee NMRA racers would be having their head work done here, after all all they care about is going fast and winning, not what brand, company or shop does their work.
If Mr. NMRA class racer thought some California shop could do betteer head work than his current head guy, you betcha he'd have his heads on a UPS truck headed towards California in a heart beat.

In closing, I'd like to quote our President: "Don't mess with Texas" [patriot] [worship]

[ April 04, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

I guess when it comes to street car racing then there are more known companies out on the East Coast that provide for races like the NMRA but I was referring to every genre of racing. I would be willing to bet that there are more repitable shops in California than in any state! There are a lot of shops that do impeccable work and would work on anybody's heads for a price but, you will never know they exists until you get into the loop and find out where they are.

There are some mean mutha's in the Bay Area that do Top Fuel, Comp eliminator, and Pro stock stuff. And there are a "butt load" of high quality cup shops in the greater bay area also. If you think these guys cant do a set of AFR 205's than your wrong.

All of these type shops will work on your junk but will not know what the fuck stage 2 or stage 3 porting is. All they know is how to make power and will cost money. And yes the UPS trucks are coming west for these guys.

this is a short list but I would start with:
Ron Grose Racing
Watson Racing
Panella Racing?...sp?
West Coast Induction

--------------------
I like cars.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there might be good shops in CA, but "being a good headporter" for top fuel or Pro Stock with Yates or similar heads probably won't help my 12 second stock shortblock car much.

I'll send my $$$ to somebody with a proven CNC program for MY heads.

proven, precise, repeatable. *exactly* what I would want from a head porter.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

These guys can do a set of trick flows or AFR's, or whatever you want. Thats what I said in my last post. They all have CNC programs. All these guys do is get a port design and input it in there CNC machine.

--------------------
I like cars.

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In NOCAL, HCI would be my first choice... Griggs can do port work as well... Also, there is a guy that goes by Radrog on the corral who does awesome work... He lives out in San Clemente and is good friends with John Mihovitz... Friend of mine had his 96 Cobra rebuilt by him and he's making over 500rwhp+ on 91 Octane...

[ April 04, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

500+ rwhp on 91 octane is no biggie on a factory stock 4V motor. WIKD281 on here made 537 RWHP on the factory stock motor, down the the throttle body.

Its also one thing to claim that a shop can do good work, but its another thing to have that shop's products consistantly in the winners circle. Fox Lake, Anderson, Total Engine Airflow, ect always seem to have cars in the winners circle.

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
500+ rwhp on 91 octane is no biggie on a factory stock 4V motor. WIKD281 on here made 537 RWHP on the factory stock motor, down the the throttle body.
How much boost was he running though on that pass?

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

13-14
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would recomend a guy name bob johnson out of sacramento. he did my motor and heads and a couple other peoples 4.6 and 5.4 motors on this site. u should check him out #916 481 9263

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

DANG, you guys started a long ass thread....hahahah [Smile]
Well you guys answered my first question about where I can get them ported. My other one is where can I go take my 4Valve to get the compression ratio bumped up? And how much of a ball park figure would it be for a Port and Compression level changed? Ball park figure?

You guys are cool, thanks.

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you mean different pistons? depends on which ones. so far i guess its HCI (where i took my car) or Bob johnson. they are both in Sac. call em both up see what they say.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

BLOWN MYSTIC- ya, i think I'll call HCI. How much did they charge you when you took in your car. ANd what did they do to it, thanks.

Ya, anyone else have references? Cause i have been doing alot of calling around the last few weeks, been calling East and West coast shops. thank goodness for AT&T's cellphone plan.

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic:
you mean different pistons? depends on which ones. so far i guess its HCI (where i took my car) or Bob johnson. they are both in Sac. call em both up see what they say.

like he said.bob johnson also does motors [patriot]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

they did a complete rebuild. new crank, rods, pistons, etc. There was so much crap on my bill for small parts im not sure what it would cost you.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

RO2USH
¯
Member # 2002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RO2USH  Ford pictures for RO2USH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Definately go to HCI (Hamilton and Clarke Industries) They just finished my motor, definately happy with the results, and they are very fair priced

--------------------
2002 Roush FR500
2004 Cobra
1965 GT 350 Clone
2003 Ducati 999

Posts: 286 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

I'll call Bob, but does anyone have HCI's number? to shop around
[patriot]

[ April 04, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: J's 4AXLR8N ]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com