Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Drive shaft bolts will not come out.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Drive shaft bolts will not come out.
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have tried every thing to get them out. Wrenches, penitrating oil, impacts and next will be heat. Has any one else had this problem and if so what worked for you. I am pulling the rear out to weld up the torque boxes and replace everything on the car as far as suspention goes and this is being a pain in the a$$.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WD-40 and a 12point socket on a huge breaker bar has always done the trick for me.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup. They are in there w/ Loc-Tite red thread locker. I used a 1/2" breaker bar w/ 12 point impact socket, two hands and feet against the tranny tunnel. Be sure to put them back in w/ fresh thread locker.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got them!! [Razz]

Once I pulled the rear out (with shaft attached) I was able to get right to the bolt with the impact and no extention. Also it had been sitting w/ wd40 on it all day and they came right out. Now a few cans of degreaser and new gears, axels and disc breaks all cutisey of a five lug conversion. Thanks for the input.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm glad you got them out, I was going to suggest adding about a 1000hp and dumping the clutch at about 5,000rpm.. [Big Grin] [Wink] ....jk..

I cant wait to see how the 5-lug Ponies look on your car..Hook us up with some pics, (if you can)when you are all done with the conversion..

[patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
SLOpony
¯
Member # 2298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOpony  Ford pictures for SLOpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heat is also a good way to soften up the thread locking compound...I use a small propane torch. Just don't heat the hardware till it's red hot or you'll affect the strength of the fastener
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes a very good qestion i had trouble with mine and i put pentrant on it and used a high touqe mac tools im pact if u dont have one use a breaker bar
Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com