Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1996 COBRA MUSTANG

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1996 COBRA MUSTANG
NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for NAGAMAST10G  Ford pictures for NAGAMAST10G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IS IT TRUE IF YOU SUPERCHARGE A 1996 COBRA MUSTANG THE BLOCK DOESNT LAST YOU LONG. I HAVE TALKED TO COPULE OF PEOPLE AND THEY SAID IT LASTED THEM ONLY 10,000 MILES. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT UPGRADES CAN I DO BEFORE I INSTALL A CHARGER SO I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS( GETTING MY BOTTOM END DONE) ANY SHOPS THAT CAB HELP ME
Posts: 15 | From: EAST PALO ALTO | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NAGAMAST10G  Ford pictures for NAGAMAST10G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YEAH
Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they only last 1000 miles

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please do not write in CAPS,
And yes, putting a s/c on a car will shorten the life. What kind of car dor you have and how many miles?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NAGAMAST10G  Ford pictures for NAGAMAST10G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1996 cobra/saleen mustang
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your car white with white wheels? Is it a vert?

How many miles again?

--------------------

NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

hi, yes thats the one the drop top 1996 with 2002 wheels. i think you came to my work ans seen it.
give me some ideas so i can add horsepower.

NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by NAGAMAST10G:
hi, yes thats the one the drop top 1996 with 2002 wheels. i think you came to my work ans seen it.
give me some ideas so i can add horsepower.

Yep,
That;s me. Sweet ass car man. You need to come to our meets. ANyways, if you use an aftercooler with your vortech, you should be fine for a while. ANytime you you put more stress on the engine, it will wear out faster [Wink]

--------------------

NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for NAGAMAST10G  Ford pictures for NAGAMAST10G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hi, when is the next meet so I can roll with you guys.
NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

hi, whenis the next meet sso I can roll with you guys.
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's all in the tuning. Dyno tuning is imperative you install a supercharger, and using the chip that comes with the kit is not a wise thing to do.
We install and tune tons of Vortech supercharged street and racing Mustangs (GTs and Cobras), and we're very careful to tune for maximum hp with reliability in mind. We realize that every car is different, so every car needs a different tune. We watch the air/fuel ratio, listen for pinging, and tune accordingly.
I have quite a few customers who opentrack their Cobras after we supercharge them, and they've had no problems in tens of thousands of street and track miles.
If four 20-minute sessions a day don't blow up the motors, street driving definitely won't. However, this is assuming your motor is in good shape before the supercharging. 57k miles isn't too much for supercharging--you should be just fine.
For more info on tuning and superchargers, drop me a line! Thanks!

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

Hi Bill,
thanks for all the information. how much will the set up cost me installed. Is it better to get a aftermarket cooler for the charger.

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by NAGAMAST10G:
hi, whenis the next meet sso I can roll with you guys.

April 19th,
Check the show/cruise section [Wink]

--------------------

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hmm never heard of it only lasting 1k miles??? i read a tech article on this in 5.0 mustang magazine. with the blower and maf and tb, exhaust it made over 400 hp! pretty impressive for mostly stock in my book. they didnt mention the rilaiblity though?

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com