Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Which intake to go with this combo ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which intake to go with this combo ?
MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock compression shortblock
Stock GT-40 Irons from 93 Cobra
AFM B-31 cam
Specs -Ad. duration - 270 intake 280 exhaust
Duration @ .050 - 218 intake 228 exhaust
Timing events @ .050 - intake 1/37 55/-2 exhaust
Lobe lift @ cam - .340 intake .340 exhaust
Gross Valve lift w/ 1.6 .544 intake .544 exhaust
Lobe separation 112
Degree intake lobe to 108

I'm thinking Edelbrock Performer, but a friend is telling me to go w/ the RPM. [Eek!]
I'm afraid to do it because I hear so many stories of people going too big with the RPM and losing low end torque. And my pig needs all the help it can get. [Big Grin]

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Couldn't go wrong with a Cobra intake.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
Couldn't go wrong with a Cobra intake.

Yeah I know..... but its just so...well, common now. [Confused]

Wanna do something different... I have one friend witha similar combo but he is out of the country so I cant get his opinion on how the RPM would work here. Plus I'd like some opinions from some who have driven a car w/ an RPM on it.

--------------------

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who cares if it's common, it's proven to work. How common are gt-40's?

Well that's what I'd do with those heads at least.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I lost torque with the RPM and switched to the performer and that seemed to work MUCH better. Try the cobra first though because your heads ARE stock, even though they are from a 93 cobra. I would say once you do some porting or bowl work, THEN go to a different intake to match. It is all about how you put together the COMBO... Not each individual piece [Smile]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The non-ported Cobra intake is a good intake, but the GT40 is better....I've seen dyno's of the Edelbrock Perfomer pulling more peak power and torque than the Cobra & GT40(with stock heads)...I've also seen the Performer beat the Cobra by 12+hp at 5500rpm and the Performer RPM was 20+hp above the Cobra at 6000rpm!

With a big cam (.544"gross is kinda big) I would get the Edelbrock Performer RPM...I wouldnt worry too much about torque, I think the stock GT40's will take care of that..Not to mention the 3.73's will also help with torque..

When you decide to port those GT40 heads the Performer RPM will give even more HP instead of bottle necking your heads..

[ March 27, 2003, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The edelbrock performer RPM will offer peak on track performance.

The regular performer will be superior below 5k, depends what you're after.

Both the edelbrocks are leaps and bounds ahead of the explorer/GT-40/cobra intakes which are all the same damn thing.

Just as many variations between two different explorer intakes as their are between the GT-40 and an explorer, for instance.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you'll be pretty happy with the regular performer. I just put one on last weekend, to go along with my performer heads. The difference over that stock hunk of crap is awesome. There is no difference below 3000rpms but after that the performer pulls really strong all the way to 5500 even with a stock cam. With the stock piece my car fell flat just before 5000. In my opinion the performer is a great street intake. Plenty of torque down low and it pulls good up top for the occasional trip to the track.
MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
The edelbrock performer RPM will offer peak on track performance.

The regular performer will be superior below 5k, depends what you're after.

Both the edelbrocks are leaps and bounds ahead of the explorer/GT-40/cobra intakes which are all the same damn thing.

Just as many variations between two different explorer intakes as their are between the GT-40 and an explorer, for instance.

Thanks you are exactly the guy I was looking for to chime in on this one, since I know you have been through many combos. I just couldn't remember your name or I would have called you out from the start. [Big Grin]

Since the car is a 95% street car and will stay that way, I'm staying w/ my original choice and going w/ the regular Performer. Thanks All... [Cool]

--------------------

www.socalhorsepower.com

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the comp cams comp box..... they work awesome.....

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with going with the regular performer since they are stock gt40's

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for the regular performer [patriot]
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with a street heat.. You will have more then enough room to grow withit!!

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

quote:
Originally posted by IKE:
Go with a street heat.. You will have more then enough room to grow withit!!

Dont like it, too ugly and I wont be doing much else as far as power goes. Unless a KB falls out the sky...

--------------------

www.socalhorsepower.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com