Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Slicks vs. street tires with MPH?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Slicks vs. street tires with MPH?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone have any theories on why generally your 1/4 mile MPH is faster with street radials and slower with slicks?..Given the fact that the tire is the same overall diameter.... [Confused]

For example:
Street tires=13.6 @102mph
vs.
Slicks=13.4 @ 101mph

[ March 26, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe the drive has somthing to do with it [Big Grin] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure why exactly, but maybe because a street tires has less rubber touching the ground. Meaning once the tire cathes, there is less drag allowing you to go faster. Kinda the same way why real races use skinnies up front. Allows for less rubber toucing the ground, for less drag. Just a thought.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is what I think it is. When you run slicks it allows your car to run the most efficent(no tire spin) run it can make. When you have Street tires you tend to spin the tires a lot more and that gives you more time on the current run so with more time there is more MPH since they are directly related it can only make sense.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Slicks also balloon at speed. Mine even touch my bumper cover when I'm making a pass, but not when it's parked.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gearing makes the main difference (aka tire size)

my best mph always comes from my ET Streets, but I hear others who say their best mph comes from some nice tiny radials, I dunno.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont understand the tire spin = more mph theory. i think mph is direcly related to distance. you have more time on the track while spinning tire but that is waisted time not accelerating.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe:
This is what I think it is. When you run slicks it allows your car to run the most efficent(no tire spin) run it can make. When you have Street tires you tend to spin the tires a lot more and that gives you more time on the current run so with more time there is more MPH since they are directly related it can only make sense.

So according to this theroy. Taking this is the exact same car, only difference is tires.

The car on slicks runs an 11 sec 1/4 mile at 120mph, and has a 1.50 60 foot time.

Then you put street tires on it, and the 60 foot time is now 3.0, so becuase his run is going to take longer (more time) and he should have a speed of almost twice as fast. Cause 3.0 is double the 1.50 time that was done on slicks.

The mph should be translated to the distance.

Another example, a honda civic runs a 10 second 1/8 mile at 50mph, while a mustang drives a 10 second 1/4 mile at 140mph.

Now the Honda should end up being much faster then the mustang because he has more time to finish his 1/4 mile, correct?

I think 5.0Brain and myself have the best theories yet. His with tire ballooing, mine with drag resistence.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could also have something to do with just the plain old diameter and not the ballooning. If you run a 245/50/16 like I do, that translates to 25.65" of tire when at recommended psi. Then when you mount a slick, since they don't make 25.65" slicks, you must get a 26" tire and this will create a slower rotating mass, which I guess could translate into a decrease in trap speed.

Damn, I should have paid more attention in high school physics. [Smile]

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com