Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 64 engine swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 64 engine swap
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A friend of mine has a 64 1/2 coupe with a 6 cylinder engine that seems to be eating iteslf alive. Anyway, how difficult would it be for her to put a 302 and tranny from an 87-93 car? I'm guessing it would be easiest to go with a carb instead of efi to avoid a lot of wiring crap. If it's too expensive, look for a blue 64 coupe fixer-upper project in the for sale forum soon...

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is way to much money to even bother with EFI and carbs are even more money so the best thing to do is sell it. Oh hay here is $20. in my hand bring it over and be done with it!! [Roll Eyes]

A swap is real easy with eather EFI or carb. I would go for the EFI and 5spd or AOD swap if it was my car. You should be able to do everything for well under $2k and with parts from this board even less. Good luck.

[ March 23, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: rokcrln ]

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would we have to find special motor mounts to do this? and what about the tranny, would that line up close enough to work?

--------------------

SixFivePony
¯
Member # 266

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SixFivePony  Ford pictures for SixFivePony  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AcesWild85:
A friend of mine has a 64 1/2 coupe with a 6 cylinder engine that seems to be eating iteslf alive. Anyway, how difficult would it be for her to put a 302 and tranny from an 87-93 car? I'm guessing it would be easiest to go with a carb instead of efi to avoid a lot of wiring crap. If it's too expensive, look for a blue 64 coupe fixer-upper project in the for sale forum soon...

You're going to need motor mounts from a V8 mustang (64-66), and if you really want to do it right (and safely) you're gonna need to swap all the suspension/brakes/steering/rearend out for v8 spec stuff... There was a difference back then.

edit: I was looking for this page when I posted.. just found it... http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special/6to8.htm

-M

[ March 23, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: SixFivePony ]

--------------------
65 Fastback, Full on project car.

plans: 302 or 351, Tremec TKO, MII front suspension (what shock towers? :-))

Posts: 41 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

uhh, if anyone is interested in a 64 coupe project, lemme know.

--------------------

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Wait, what about a v-6 from a 94-03 mustang?

--------------------

SixFivePony
¯
Member # 266

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SixFivePony  Ford pictures for SixFivePony  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never heard of a v6 swap... That would probably be something custom.

-M

--------------------
65 Fastback, Full on project car.

plans: 302 or 351, Tremec TKO, MII front suspension (what shock towers? :-))

Posts: 41 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it truly is a 64 and Half, I would not give up on it so easily. I hear that they are the only coupes between 64.5 to 66 that are actually worth anything. the V8 swap is pretty common, in fact i dont think its that hard. early mustang parts are so readily available, and doing an efi swap is not that hard, especially if you have a donor car. you can get a whole stock efi setup out of a late model for like 30 bucks, minus the harness.
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Yeah but she's got no money or mechanical knowledge in which to do it. If I had that money and time, I'd buy that car and drop a 302 in it....but I don't [Frown]

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the lowest cash offer she would sell it for tomorrow?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd just put a new 6 cyl in it. its not worth doing the change over unless you plan to keep the car. youll need to get a new rear end to handle the power increase and new suspension up from to handle the additional weight of the v8.
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Secnd2nun64 is probably right about a new I-6....Anyway, as for selling it, I'd have to call her (I only see her like once a week), and the car is her daily driver so she'd need a replacement if she was gonna sell it. As for the car itself, the body is straight except for 2 dents, one on each side at the scallop, where 2 different shit heads hit the car in a parking lot and drove off. Only busted one of them. In my opinion, if you hit a 64 mustang, you're gonna burn in hell. Otherwise, it's got new light blue paint and a bad engine. Last I heard, it had alternator problems, and a cracked block. Thats all I really know. I should find out more and put this in the for sale forum...

--------------------

67stang12s
¯
Member # 2314

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang12s  Ford pictures for 67stang12s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just put in a 289 or a 302 with the motor mounts and you'll be fine with that 8inch and it'll be a better ride or just go get a 9inch rearend from the junk yard
oh yeah and some leaf springs
does she have a c4 tranny?
if not then forget what i just said

--------------------
The Heartbeat stops here
F O R D

SLOpony
¯
Member # 2298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOpony  Ford pictures for SLOpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an inline 6 from a 67 if you're interested. It's a kragen rebuilt that hasn't ever been started. I just want to get rid of it so I'd let it go cheap. Might be good just to keep it on the road till you could afford and get all the parts for the V8 swap
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Yeah, she's interested. How much?

--------------------

SLOpony
¯
Member # 2298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOpony  Ford pictures for SLOpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your PMs

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com