Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Are my NGK Iridiums bad?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Are my NGK Iridiums bad?
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was told that these are to be installed as is straight from the box, no gapping is required, and that gapping would actually damage the plugs. Is this true? Because if it is, there goes $80 down the tube!! [Mad]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're NA, I wouldn't worry about it too much [patriot]
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would imagine the iridium is very brittle and gapping could destroy the electrode very easily

i have never EVER witnessed an NHRA or NASCAR team gapping plugs, they take 'em outta the box and torque 'em in...

if they are damaged, it will be obvious due to misfire...

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It should say on the end of the box what the gap is set to, from NGK....(Should be- .054" for a 97 Cobra)

Try to put the gap back to what it says on the box or whatever NGK recommends...The gap recommended is what NGK had the best results with..

Check and see if you damaged the electrode with the gapper, but you probaly didnt..

Good luck!

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just some good reading on a similar topic:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb-archives/sparkplugs.html

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the sharpness is where the denso plugs excel with a 1.5 mm electrode diameter!

nice link if a bit non-technical

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

rob- I like the Alternative Auto articals because he explains everything so non-technical, but the technical backing and unbias dyno and track testing is all there. Everything from their story on traction, to cam selection, limits of various short blocks, ect is all well written, documented, tested and proven. Keep in many of these articals are up to 5+ years old. Many were denounced at the time, but have proven to be true... Alternative Auto was just ahead of its time [worship]
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the responses. I think Rob is right. A few friends have told me( a bit too late [Roll Eyes] ) that gapping would damage the electrode. At first the car ran great, all through the R's it ran smooth. Now 3 months later after 5,000 RPMs the car bogs a bit. I think if I try to reset the gapping I'll just damage them more. I guess its time for some new plugs. Again [Mad]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

Try to put the gap back to what it says on the box or whatever NGK recommends

no that will just damage it more

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had NGK TR55IX Iridiums on my N/A 96 Cobra and on the box it clearly said "no need to adjust spark plug gap due to extremely fine electrode" There's basically no need for gapping iridium plugs because the resistance of that tiny electrode is so small that the ignition system will overcome gap difference anyway.

Messing with the electrode basically gave them a shorter life...lol Just pull the plugs out and put some new ones in...

For the record, I just changed from the NGK Iridiums (had them in for about a year) to some Autolite 764s and the car runs just as well as it ever has... The Autolites will most likely not last as long, but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than what I paid for the NGK's ($6.95 a plug)... [burnout]

[ March 22, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic:
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

Try to put the gap back to what it says on the box or whatever NGK recommends

no that will just damage it more
I was just trying to help..Hey, the guy spent $80. on a set of spark plugs!!...I know I would try to fix them if I accidently re-gapped them, otherwise its money down the drain!....
It is very possible to change the gap on a spark plug without touching the electrode...Even if re-gapping them halved the life of his plugs at least he might get something out of his $80..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know the part number for either the ngk iridium plugs or the denso iridium plugs for a n/a 01 gt?

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know the part number for either the ngk iridium plugs or the denso iridium plugs for a n/a 01 gt?

--------------------

2001 gt.... sold

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

--------------------

2001 gt.... sold

Andrew WOT
¯
Member # 1249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew WOT  Ford pictures for Andrew WOT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NGK TR55IX
Denso IT16

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the NGK copper Plugs TR55s, You will get great performance out of them and there only a $1.35 or so each.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
Get the NGK copper Plugs TR55s, You will get great performance out of them and there only a $1.35 or so each.

How do they compare to the Iridiums, besides the price. Do they perform better for a shorter time is that why they are so cheap. The Iridiums are suppose to last me 15,000 miles at least if not more. How long do the copper ones last?

--------------------
Rest In Peace
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, stop buying the cheap shit, spend some money and get some good stuff. J/k [patriot] [Razz]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's DDLY SNK

How do they compare to the Iridiums, besides the price. Do they perform better for a shorter time is that why they are so cheap. The Iridiums are suppose to last me 15,000 miles at least if not more. How long do the copper ones last?

I guess you must have missed my post... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Rev Happy

For the record, I just changed from the NGK Iridiums (had them in for about a year) to some Autolite 764s and the car runs just as well as it ever has... The Autolites will most likely not last as long, but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than what I paid for the NGK's ($6.95 a plug)...

Save your money... Your car is N/A... Not one with a built motor and a power adder...

[ March 26, 2003, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The performance from a copper plug is great. They will need to be replaced every 20k miles or so.
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
The performance from a copper plug is great. They will need to be replaced every 20k miles or so.

Do you recommend gapping them at stock .54 or something different? and thanks for the info [patriot]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

I left mine at stock.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com