Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Who has done 302 5.0 swap?( I just got a 4cyl notch for free) I need INFO(read)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has done 302 5.0 swap?( I just got a 4cyl notch for free) I need INFO(read)
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A couple days back I got a 89 notchback for free. It's a 4banger. I'm looking to do a full 5.0fuel injected swap. I know it would be a lot easier to just buy a stang with a 8 in it already, but I'm not going to. So I just wanted to know through someone that has done this swap, wat will I need, how much did it cost you to do the swap, and what should I look out for, what the hardest part etc.?

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You basicly have to swap the wiring harness, engine, transmission and rear end from a 5.O. Other stuff like brakes are optional, but recomended. Not that stock 5.O brakes are anything special.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this should help

i4 to v8

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
St510 have you done the swap, what were the hardest things about it?

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have in my Jeep [Smile]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can anyone tell me something I should know before I do the swap?

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the hardest part of the swap will be the wiring, hands down the most time consuming also

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

I've been told that the wiring would be the hardest thing to do, is there wiring diagram that would show me how to do the wiring right?

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

a chiltons manual will help but not as much as a manual that a mechanic has, if u know a mechanic, buy him a beer or lunch and ask to borrow his book on mustangs and photocopy as many wiring diagram pages as posible, that is the only way i could have rewired my cobra, that mechanics book saved me

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

85GT
¯
Member # 1695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85GT  Ford pictures for 85GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a similar question, but i have a 1985 3.8 V6, and i would like to convert it to 5.0 i have a complete 5.0 motor, but i will be going carbureted. so i gotta ditch my injection stuff. i'm going to build the motor up before i swap it in (higher compression, fat cam, good internals) even tho my motor is fine as it sits. my car came with a C5, will that bolt up to my 5.0? what all will i need? i know i need a new fuel pump... any tips would be awesome
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

It might be getting easier for me now! I'm supposed to go get a 90Gt tomorrow. The enigines got everything except a smog pump and alternator, it comes with a tranny and rear end so, I dont think it can get much easier.

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

just curious, where did u find it and how much are u paying for it, if it is not it to bad of shape i would just say transfer some of the 4 banger body panels onto it

remember, if u dont know a guy at a smog shop, ur 4 banger with a big ol v8 in it is not gonna pass visual, it will pass the sniffer if it is run decent but it will fail visual, u might want to think about that

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the wiring is the easiest part to change only the harness on the right side of the engine bay needs to be changed there are two wires at the actual pcm that need to be changed/splice into the car the check engine light and the ignition+ source for the pcm, you will also need to swap the cluster so that the tach will work properly. the wiring feeds into the firewall and all the connectors will fit throught the hole once the grommet is pulled through. make sure that you also get any emission solenoids that may not be on the 4cyl car but I think that they are there too. the hardest part i think would be the acutal r&r of the engine ant trans into the car. the wiring is not a hassle at all. to do a complete swap right you would want to swap everything on the vehicle that is different, the manufacture made 4cyl and 8cyl parts different for a reson.
Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wouldnt these 2 need to change the actuol drive shaft since they will be goin from a 7.5 rear to a 8.8??? or do they directly bolt up? and aslo say if they were to run out of money or soemthing goes and and they dont have an 8.8 wont the 7.5 work for a temporary rear end???

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Zay
¯
Member # 2553

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Zay  Ford pictures for Zay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done this swap and it was not that bad. It took me about two weeks of working 3 hours a night after work. I did a lot of reading before doing this project. If you have a 89 car you need a 88(CA)-89 mass air engine harness. If you want the car to be correct you need get fuel lines from and V8 car along with rear brake line that runs from the front to the rear. You can use the 4cyl stuff but that depends on how exact you want to be. Switch the fuel pump but they are basically the same. mine ran fine with the 4 cylinder pump.Change the front braking system along with the rear end. I used a parts car to make the swap. Email me at saleen@gte.net if you have any questions. I sold mine and bought a 91 Notch that I am putting a EFI 351w into at the present time....

--------------------
2002 F150 SuperCrew/90 Coupe/89 Saleen Convertible #243/66 Fastback "A" Code/65 Fastback "C" Code Restomod.

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

I think i have to switch the drive shaft but I'm not sure.

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

I can't pass visual with V8? Is that true?

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need to go to the referee and get it certified and then you get a label for your fender.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
J24I
¯
Member # 2598

OK THANKS [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com