Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ram Air Vs. Cold Air

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ram Air Vs. Cold Air
1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking to make my car breath better but wondering which one of the two ram air or cold air will give me the best performance. I am looking to get a densecharger but want to get some feedback on the two first. So any help will be appreciated.
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best performance is ram air, but its not really desirable on a street car so everyone goes with cold air kits.
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was told ram air limits the air flow, and it only works @ fast speeds.
Posts: 270 | From: San Pablo, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, ram air only works at upper speeds by the nature of how it works, but no it does not limit air flow in any way.
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cold air is best for the street. If you get a ram air system, you almost will NEVER be utilizing it unless on the freeway or at the track at speed. And if you go with an under the car ram air setup, you just bought yourself a very expensive road debris collector!

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was looking into the ram air hood set up but wanted to know what happens in the rain. Is their a drain/catch system or is this why they are not so desirable?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

rokcrln- Go do a dealership and check out the ram air fire birds or camaro's and see how they handle this. Basicly, the 'scoop' on the hood isn't directly connected to the air filter housing, so even if you completely cover the opening, the motor will still breathe. Its not possible for rain to puddle up and get sucked in this way.
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We affectionately call it "Ram Dirt." [Razz] Ram air kits really make a fast mess of the air filter. Cold air kits are much more practical and also very effective.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:
We affectionately call it "Ram Dirt." [Razz] Ram air kits really make a fast mess of the air filter. Cold air kits are much more practical and also very effective.

Very good point. I would like to try one at the track to see if it worth anything and then pull the hose so it is only sucking air from the fender for street use.
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe that the WS6, Firehawk, SS Camaro, and even the Ferrari cars use ram air. Even if trhe ram air doesnt kick in until 60mph, I think that when you race someone, you will be going faster then 60 (hopefully). Or at the track....dont you go faster then 60 also? So ram air is really worth it, much better then cold air (which draws air from the stock location).

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
read what i said on the post in tech talk
"do you think it would work?"
it might be a easy solution.i'm in favor on ram air. [Wink]

[ March 14, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would think even with a ram air kit that you would still get colder air?? i dont see how the air inlet tubing stoping at the inner fender gets colder air than something thats closer to the ground?? even at lower speeds wouldnt it still be sucking colder air?? and by the way i personally would not spend the money on any cold air. me and a friend went to orchard and spent less then 20 bucks and ran the same tubing used w/ dense chargers, but we ran it all the down to the bottom of the fender used an elbow so it pretty much parrallel with the front end. and no it doesnt hang below the cars body.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

SlowFiveOh94
¯
Member # 2404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowFiveOh94  Ford pictures for SlowFiveOh94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chico Stang:
I believe that the WS6, Firehawk, SS Camaro, and even the Ferrari cars use ram air. Even if trhe ram air doesnt kick in until 60mph, I think that when you race someone, you will be going faster then 60 (hopefully). Or at the track....dont you go faster then 60 also? So ram air is really worth it, much better then cold air (which draws air from the stock location).

Josh

Dont forget about the Mach 1's!

--------------------
2001 Mustang GT (Faleen Speedster)

Posts: 1184 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cold air is a great thing and it works very efficiently. If you really want the most power and don't mind having to clean your filter all the time and picking out leaves and crap from where ever your scoop is then that is the way to go. Just do us all a favor and don't use one of those March kits. I think they look absolutely disgusting and you could scrape those easy if your car is lowered. If this is your daily driver go with the cold air and sacrifice a couple of horsepower but at the track at high speed ram air comes into it's own and you'll realize why people love it. Good Luck on making a good educated choice [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com