Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how big of a Nitrous shot?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how big of a Nitrous shot?
andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thinking about going the cheap way out to get hp. with the mods i have how big of a shot of nitrous could i run, without taking any huge chances with majorly ruining my engine. and what upgrades if any should i do to see to it that i get greatest amount of life from my engine with NOS???

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the amount of nitrous (or hp on a stock bottom end) on a 99+ 4.6L (excluding the 03 Cobra) that can safely be used will vary from person to person. Some will say all the way up to 150. But most will prolly say between 75-125. I personally do think that it is safe to run more then 75 on a stock bottom end, due to the poor pistons and connecting rods Ford put in these engines. Especially if you have a Romeo block, you will be even more worse off. I would do some research on how strong your bottom end is and come to the conclusion on how much you think you cna run on ur own.

Some safety features, get a bigger fuel pump (not really familiar with the returnless style fuel setup) if you decide to go with a wet system. Get window switch, or safety switches of that matter (cut out switches) and do not spray at too low of RPM's, prolly kinda bad if you are spraying a 100 shot at idle.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 87 and i shot a 150 shot when im racing a fast car but i would recomend the 90 shot for the everday race, it just depends on how bad u want to win! [burnout]

--------------------
BEAT YA

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87mustang:
i have a 87 and i shot a 150 shot when im racing a fast car but i would recomend the 90 shot for the everday race, it just depends on how bad u want to win! [burnout]

What kind of kit do you run with a 90 shot? Some compucar bag of nitrous kit or something [Confused]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by andyman_2k01:
thinking about going the cheap way out to get hp. with the mods i have how big of a shot of nitrous could i run, without taking any huge chances with majorly ruining my engine. and what upgrades if any should i do to see to it that i get greatest amount of life from my engine with NOS???

Start out with 75, we dont want you blowing the welds on your intake.

--------------------
Support our troops!

87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya its a compucar kit! [dance]

--------------------
BEAT YA

andyman_2k01
CAFords OG
Member # 1448

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman_2k01  Ford pictures for andyman_2k01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thx for the pointers guys...i really appreciate it.

--------------------
-00 Mustang GT (R Clone)
-99 Saleen Convert. #231-SOLD

Posts: 1503 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87mustang:

You also have to remember that your stock pistons (which are forged) are much, much stonger then his pistons! There was an article a while back in either MM&FF or 5.0 Mag, that talked about the weakness of the 99+ lower end.

All thought many people have great sucess, and have no problems running a 150 shot of nitrous. I do know people who have cracked their intake manifold (with just 2 chamber flows, no other mods to the car) so problems do happen.

Search the last 4 months of MM&FF/5.0 Mag to look for the article. I believe it is called DSS shomething, or try searching for a post I made on here called "99+ Pistons/connecting rods" or something like that. Which talks about the weakness of the 4.6L modular motor (especially if the Romeo block).

But like I said, people will tell you between 75-125. So if you are going to go with nitrous, start at 75 and work your way up.

Josh

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would run 50-75 on the street and 100 at the runs. nosszle systems seem to be making people happy.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Here, check this out...kinda tells you what mag/month to look at. And how some people know how weak they are.

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002958

Josh

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only way I see possible to crack an intake due to nitrous use, is to have a backfire through the intake, which is only caused by a LEAN condidtion. This is a tuning problem, not the amount of N2O being used. You can safely run a 150HP shot of N2O with an NX kit. The motor has no problems with that much extra hp. Been tested a bunch of times.....A factory motor has a safety factor built into it, and another 150hp will not exceed that safety factor. I have installed many kits on that same year car, and they have performed very well, with no problems. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me and ask.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
actually anybody can backfire through the intake on the N20, all it requires is to leave spraying on slicks and then to bog, I've seen it in person, pretty freaking cool.

That's why (IMHO) not using window switches or setting the lower end of your window switch real low (like 2500?) is not a good idea.

At WOT, and bogging under full spray at 2500 you're going to have a problem...

but then maybe our magical non-existant knock sensors will save the day?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I leave on slicks all the time, and never have had a backfire through the intake. Trust me, if it backfires through the intake, you either 1: have a stuck valve, or 2: the kit went lean, whether for just a second or whatever. N2O doesnt just make stuff happen for no particular reason. Its been around,and used successfuly for a good 20 years. I believe window switches are a good thing, but they are relatively new, and arent the saving factor.If your car "bogs" when it is on the nitrous, trust me, you have other problems.
Do you realize how much torque is produced when you spray 150hp worth of nitrous at 2500rpm? Do the math. If your car bogs, at wide open throttle with that much torque, you better start looking into why it is doing that.

[ March 12, 2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: customN2O ]

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what if you didn't purge at the line? I got your bog right there...

you must be John Force if you've never bogged or something...

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

your right, if you dont purge, it will bog, or stumble, but I guarantee you it wont pop the intake. It will be fat for a split second, and thats why it does that. It will not cause an backfire through the intake. Trust me, Ive been spraying nitrous on everything from gopeds to streetcars, to full blown race cars. Ive driven cars around with no throttle, only a button. It doesnt hurt anything. Dont go doing that with 300hp of nitrous though, or you will be surprised. As long as you are full throttle, go for it! Shit, read the instructions, it will even tell you in there!!! Thats NX instructions [Smile]

--------------------

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

I do not mean to be a "Hater", but it seems of your 201 posts customN2O, 190 of them have been like this. "If you go with an NX kit you can spray all day safely, buy an NX kit, they are the best! BUY from me, and NX will deliver your goods" First I don’t see anywhere in the original question him asking about NX, or even what company to go with. His question is asking how much of nitrous (ANY COMPANY, NOT JUST NX) is safe, and what measures he can do to keep his car running the safest. Thus the answers most people have been saying are, 75 shot, and window switches (or other safety measures), not if you buy my NX kit you can spray all day.

Now onto the intake manifold...which u say will never crack no matter how much nitrous you are using. I think you should read up on the 99-03 Mustang GT's intake manifolds and then come back with a better reply. Because these manifold do crack! I have a friend who cracked his not even using a power adder. All he had was 2 chamber flows. There have also been many cars who have cracked there intake manifold when using power adders such as nitrous or a supercharger. I know you want to sell as much nitrous as possible (every post is buy my NX kit), but all cars are different. And adding 150 hp to a stock bottom end mustang GT with a Romeo block will not last for long.

Next onto the "safety Factor that a factory motor has built into it" issue. I think you should go pick up that article I posted earlier that talks about the weakness of the modular blocks. Because these blocks from the factory do have a huge safety factor built into them. If you read the article, and are able to comprehend at all, you would realize how weak these engines are. Especially if you have a Romeo block!

So like I said earlier, one should read up on their engine, found out what kind he/she has. Either a Romeo or a Winsor block, and come to a conclusion on there own how much nitrous (any company, not just NX) they can safely spray.

quote:
Originally posted by customN2O:
but I guarantee you it wont pop the intak

Yes, it can pop the intake manifold...please read up on mustang information.

As a final note, I personally believe that the NOS nitrous kit, NOSzle, is much safer then any NX kit! Until NX comes out with there own kit like that.

Josh

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Well Josh, I never said anything about buy from me. I said I know the tuneup of NX, and a 150shot is very safe with a new mustang. I have about 10 of them on cars right now, that run the 150 shot, for over a year, and have had no problems. If the intake cracks without power adders, then how does that relate to it cracking with a 150shot? It doesnt. As for how weak those block are....There is alot that goes into breaking parts in an engine. If the motor is tuned right, and running smoothly so to speak(each cylinder making equal power all the time) the motor will live much longer then a motor that is popping, bangin, making eratic hp from cylinder to cylinder, which is associated with many of the kits on the market. That is where my saying a 150 NX kit comes to play. I have a customer with a 2002 mustang, that is running a 200 shot on it. 3 months now with NO problems. So for you to tell me that I dont know what Im talking about is a joke. Go read the tech articles, they are good info, but not the BIBLE. Tech articles and many famous engine builders have said a 70 sbc truck block, pick of the litter, will not handle more then 700hp. hmmmmmm. I have one, with excessive core shift, that I made 875hp with, for over 3 years without a failure....Go figure.
Explain to me what, in your opinion of course, makes the NOS and the NOSzzle system SAFER. And by the way, NX does have a kit like the NOSzzle. Do your research.

--------------------

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Yes, I know NX has that..but from what I have heard (on LS1 sites) it wasnt out yet. But should be soon. I just like the NOSzle kit more, thats why I said that. How I said i knew a guy who cracked his intake is simply so that I could try to explain how these intakes do crack. And I do know guy who have cracked there itakes using nitrous kits. Just said the one who was running NA cuase usually an NA car with just 2 chamber flows is gonna have less power then one with nitrous

So these intake manifold do crack...and like I said. Some people have wonderful luck spraying nitrous with these cars. Some people have been running 150 shots of nitrous for a couple of years with no problems (like you stated). Yet there have also been people who have cracked there blocks, destroyed thier intake manifold. All I was saying is that the owner of the vehicle should beware of what he is doing. Maybe he should go and see what kind of block he has (look at the bolt patterns on the crankshaft is one way, 6 or 8) and come to his own conclusion.

You have to admit (no matter how bad you want to sell nitrous to this guy) that some of these block (especially the Romeo blocks) are very weak, and often break due to excessive power. And that intake manifold do break (reason for direct port injection like the NOSzle kit) even if the nitrous is tuned correctly using an NX kit.

Josh

P.S. if you want to fight about your nitrous smarts..go to the other topic that is already 3 pages long between you and fiveohhhh. I am sure he would much rather argue with yourself then I would.

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Just wondering for my friend, is the NX nossle kit out for the LS1 F-Body's yet?

And one could say (to argue that the NOS NOSzle kit is better) that running this kit will make it so that there is no chance in hell you can have back fire in your intake manifold. One could also say that using this system will not reduce the life of your injectors like a dry kit will do. Becuase of having to spray more fuel for the 150 dry shot.

Josh

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put a NX kit on my Neon, 5.0, a freinds 2001 4.6 and my turbo GLHS. Blew a head gasket on my 5.0 mustang by over reving it, and blew the intake on the 4.6 by hitting the revlimiter. Both my freind and I made the mistakes not the kit. If you install them right and use them correctly you will never have a problem. I ran 175 on my 5.0 180,000 mile motor and my friend ran a 150 on his 4.6 for many bottles. Not only is customn20 one of the most knowlegable here he also has the best price. I would listen and try to learn istead of arguing about things you are not sure of. He always answers these questions and then no one belives him because he promotes what he has seen in real life not some magazine. Doesn't make sence to me. An early model 4.6 is weak but come on 225hp + 150 is still only 375 and no one says anything when someone wants to do that with a blower. If you don't want to run large amounts of N20 then don't. But people stop talking shit on the man who knows.
Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com