Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tranny related ticking?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tranny related ticking?
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I decided to run it through the gears (5 spd.) today and in the process ground second. After that, there's now a ticking noise that increases with engine/tranny speed. It goes away when I push in the clutch though. Could it be that the throwout bearing has come off of the fork and is rattling? Or worse, is it my tranny? In 3rd gear you could always hear the gear whine a little louder than the other gears if they even whined, and the ticking is louder in 3rd as well. Does this mean anything? I know that I could add a little fluid in it. Could clutchless shifting today have been the cause? I'm worried about this thing in that my other car is down with a bad AOD, so I'm hoping I don't have a bad tranny in this one.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a throw out bearing to me. Does it go away as soon as you push in the clutch a tad?
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes it does, completely.

--------------------
Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Definately sounds like a throw out bearing.
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Cool, thanks. I have to pull the tranny to fix it right? You think it might've slipped off of one of the fingers on the fork? If so, should I pick up a new fork while I'm in there?

--------------------
Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Yup, the tranny has to come off. If the bearing retainer is grooved up, you should replace it as well. Some people have gotten by with sticking a coat hanger or a wooden stick with axel grease on the tip through the side of the bell housing. This is obviously a hack that works for some people.... I have no idea if you're a hack or not [Smile] The fork is a solid chunk of metal, I don't see how it could wear. The fork's pivot ball on the other hand can wear and is replacable. Do you have an adjustable cable/quadrant? Maybe you can get by a little bit longer by adding more tention on the cable?
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

UPDATE:
After driving around some more I have realized that the car will not make the noise only when I'm stopped with the clutch in. It'll make it any other time though, even moving and out of gear. Could I have messed my input shaft somehow? Or do you still think that it is the throwout bearing? And yes, I have the Steeda adjustable cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant.

--------------------
Brian

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

TTT

--------------------
Brian

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

TTT

--------------------
Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Can you rephrase this?

" I have realized that the car will not make the noise only when I'm stopped with the clutch in."

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dude your T/O bearing is howling. If it's really freaking annoying replace it, otherwise try and turn your radio up and smile and wave at people that look at your car funny [Big Grin]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Yeah, that sentence doesn't make too much sense. The car doesn't make the noise when I have the clutch pushed in at a stop. It makes the noise all of the time otherwise, even I'm moving with the car out of gear. You think it's just the throwout bearing, or is it internal tranny noise?

--------------------
Brian

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when the clutch is 'pushed in' the T/O bearing is not spinning on the tranny input shaft! it's lifted off and can't make it's howling noise!

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

But it's a ticking noise, not a howling. Is it all the same? Either way, thanks for the help [burnout] .

--------------------
Brian

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
brian, off topic but hows the nitrous setup treating ya? Any problems so far??? Whats your best run been?
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

It's ok. I've been having trouble with leaking hoses that have to be replaced (leaks were in the braided section-not the ends). I've removed the plate (wanna buy it [Big Grin] ?) so I can put a NX nozzle in my C&L air tube. The only run I got with it was a 12.3 at a high 109 (leaking hose), so it should be better. No problems otherwise.

--------------------
Brian

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com