Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.0 ?
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a friend w/ an 89 bronco w/ a 5.0. She only gets 7 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah it has 134,000 miles and runs fine.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
O2 sensors?
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heavy right foot? [Razz]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

What should she be getting?

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v6mustanglover:
I have a friend w/ an 89 bronco w/ a 5.0. She only gets 7 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

You ever stop and wonder, if the fact that the damn thing weighs about 6,000 pounds has anything to do with it? A friend of mine who had a 90 Bronco, well we did some research. And found out that the hood alone weighs something like 500 pounds. So maybe the weight has something to do with it.

I have a 97 F-150, that is a 4.6L (the same shitty type as in the 96-98 Gt's) and I get at best 14 miles per gallon. That is on the freeway, and never once going above 2,000 RPM's.

If you want to get better gas milage, here is what you can do; Stab the catalytic converters with sicissors so you can replace the 2, with 1 hi-flow cat. That takes car of the damn 2 cats from Ford, then get after market exuast system, to help the exuast leave the truck. Then get a K&N filter charger. Or whatever brand you like, so long as more air is getting into the engine. Your Bronco will have a dual TB (not sure what called, has 2 holes instead of 1 like on mustangs), so upgrading that too will help. Just do anything you can to help the Bronco breathe easier, and allow it to get rid of that exuast gas faster/quicker. As long as you keep the stock injectors your gas milage will only go up.

If you dont want to spend money, or think the engine is just bad. Check the compression ratio, and air filters and hoses/lines. Then check spark plugs, and all that junk, making sure she is running at her best.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
O2 sensors?

I say the same thing. I have many stories from buddies of mine that say once the O2 sensors on their broncos stared going bad, their gas mileage went down the tubes BADLY. Try it, it isn't too expensive and very easy to replace

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

I will try the 02 sensors. It did go down just all of the sudden.

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
O2 sensors?

I say the same thing. I have many stories from buddies of mine that say once the O2 sensors on their broncos stared going bad, their gas mileage went down the tubes BADLY. Try it, it isn't too expensive and very easy to replace
I want in on that assessment also!
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it also depends on the tire size, and or if it has a lift! [dance]

--------------------
BEAT YA

v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

How can you tell if the 02 sensors are bad?

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com