Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » torque boxes...help?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: torque boxes...help?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 90 lx hb and want to strengthen my torque boxes , bill at apex told me that putting a solid line weld around it will be strong enough and others have told me to use plates bolted and welded to the boxes ... i want some others opinons, what should i do? thanks [patriot]

[ March 11, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the application of the car? What tires, what control arms, ect?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all stock ... pony wheels with 225/55/16
93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
email hugger1974@hotmail.com
they sell some pretty good reinforcments for pretty cheap.

Posts: 267 | From: san leandro | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Then what Bill at Apex told you is correct. Don't worry about the plates unless you plan on doing some serious drag racing on slicks or running solid bushing control arms.
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish i had gotten mine welded up sooner. I ran my car on slicks for 1 day and snapped my torque box from my frame. Had to pull the whole rearend out and have the bracket rewelded and welded back up. CustomN2O did it for me if you want to get ahold of him.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just my $0.02 if welding it is good enough why not just plate it and forget it?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you ever plan on seriously running your stang I would go the plate route. I am going to be installing the megabite rear control arms and anti-sway bar and am definetly going to weld in some plates. There only like 120 a set. [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

well at the track i might run slicks way in the furture but i am motsly tuning the car for road racing. does anyone know where i can buy plates? bill at apex told me if i want the plates in i need thinner bushings for the lower control arms and it will ruin the ride quality.. any insight on this? [patriot]

[ March 12, 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am wondering a lot of the same...I have a 90 vert and I am planning on running slicks after I upgrade to better axles ect.. Are the plates worth it or should I just have someone weldup the torque boxes?

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Casey, you will need plates if you go with slicks [dance]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

hey now .... this is my post .... [Wink] j/k
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Jon, Plates I will buy then [burnout]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your boxes are not yet breaking you do not need plates. Bill @ apex is right all you need to do is stich weld around the entire torque box (all four) alternating your welds about 3/4" in length each. What is the worse for torque damage is not the 10sec launches it is spinning donuts and kicking it sidways in the parking lot. With the factory defect of the rear suspention in stangs it just tears them apart. Only use the plates if you are already tearing apart and if it is real bad SELL THE CAR and start over. All you will be doing is chasing the cracks. Just my $.02 after checking with a few race shops on this issue.

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Also why don't you guys run the torque arm set up on your cars (this is for the ones that don't) because this will take alot if not all the stress off the rear links and your car will launch like never before and come out of corners like it is on rails not ice! Somthing to check into.

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

well see the thing is im planning on the panhard bar and torque arm setup for summer and i do swing fig8s and donuts all day i cant help it its to fun but i think ima just do the welding and shit when i get lower control arms later... still not reply about the bushings i will have to change? [Confused]
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Yes it was answered about the bushings. If your boxes are not cracked you don't need the plates their for your bushings do not need to be modified. If your are cracked out alot then you need to do what ever it takes to fix it. If the bushings do need to be thined out all you are looking at doing is shaving off what ever the thickness of the added plate would be. This should not be over 1/8"plt if done correctley. Also just an fyi once you put the torque set up on their good luck doing the figure 8"s. It is going to hook up not spin out.

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

cool thank you all for the help [patriot] [burnout]
ill get her to fig8 ...i hope [Big Grin]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com