Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » steering wheels

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: steering wheels
GHOSTDOG
¯
Member # 522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GHOSTDOG  Ford pictures for GHOSTDOG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a question i see alot of guys with the sn-95 mustangs having grant or other steering wheels on there cars how are they doin this swap ?? i have a 2000 mustang and mine and theres have air bags so what is the procedure

--------------------
hennessy lemon squeeze and green bud chillin in my stang with a mean mug

Posts: 320 | From: ANY LIQUOR STORE IN THE 510 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE SHOP, MOST LIKELY FOR AND GET THE AIR BAG DISCHARGED. THE USE A KEY I THINK. CALL AROUND.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To disconnect the air bag all you need to do is disconnect the battery for at least twenty min. to let the charge out of the airbag system....There are 2 plastic caps on the side of your steering wheel, remove these and you will find 2 screws behind them....Once you remove those screws you can take the air bag off.(BE VERY CAREFUL AND POSITION YOURSELF AWAY FROM THE STEERING WHEEL!)...Then all you have to buy is a steering wheel puller, to get the stock wheel off...PepBoys/Kragen sell the puller for less than $15.....

Ford sell the FR500 steering Wheel, which is thicker and you can still use your airbag and cruise control buttons!!...It only comes in black though..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to swap a Momo or Grant or something without an airbag: hence - removing the airbag feature of your car, know that it's illegal. [Frown]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am not 100 percent on this, But I think you can buy a steering wheel adapter for a non airbag car. Like a 89 and older. I think the splines on the column are the same. Does anyone know for sure?

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com