Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Anyone blow the power steering pressure hose on a 5.O?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone blow the power steering pressure hose on a 5.O?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering if anyone has blown the power steering pressure hose. If so, how far did you drive it with no oil in the resovoir/pump?

Do you think the pump will be fine after driving 130 miles "dry"? It won't be under load and I'm sure there is a little bit of oil left in there.

[ March 05, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No one else I know runs 10w-40 in they're power steering pump like you. [Razz]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10-30 thank you very much [patriot]
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not bypass the PS to save it with a short belt?

driving it dry I'm sure will kill it.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My boy has.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Stimson
_
Member # 51

I tried all the belt route combonations and couldn't find one that worked with out buying a new belt. my belt config is so custom, I'm not even going to deal with figuring out whats the proper power steering bypass length. I rather take my chances if it comes down to that. I'm hoping the small amount of oil left in the pump combined with the fact its under no load (pumping air) will allow it to live for a while.

Taking all bets, we'll find out friday night [Smile]

Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
power steering problems? Ive had just about every problem you can think of.....my current problem, after replacing the pump and pressure hose again, the hose decided to bounce around and rub against the belt.....now there is a hole in the pressure hose.....130 miles is nothing unless the pump is on its last leg anyway. Ive ran mine for a couple months before without fluid in it......I HATE PS PROBLEMS. [Frown]

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Yeah, I figured the pump would be fine spinning with no oil and no load for 130ish miles.

So any tips for installing the new pressure hose? It looks very straight forward, I'm just wondering if I should wrap the threads with teflon tape or not.

Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive never had to, but be careful removing the hose from the pump itself, the nut there always seem to want to round out. ANd for some reason ford made the pressure house about 12-18 inches too long, so just make sure you route the rest of the hose where it wont rub against anything.

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Yeah, I figured the pump would be fine spinning with no oil and no load for 130ish miles.

So any tips for installing the new pressure hose? It looks very straight forward, I'm just wondering if I should wrap the threads with teflon tape or not.

just think if you treated it with prolong you could drain it completely and hit up willow springs and trade paint with Al Unser [Razz]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com