Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gas guage prob....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gas guage prob....
94dropteezyGT
¯
Member # 2385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94dropteezyGT  Ford pictures for 94dropteezyGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend has a 88 GT 5.0 and his gas guage is stuck on full all the time any one have any ideas on why it would do that?? any help would be nice thanks...........

--------------------
" and im out... half a blunt hangin out my mouth speedin' like a demon on 101 south..."

R.I.P. Nicholas Bowley
R.I.P. Mike "Biggie" Aguilar

Posts: 159 | From: san francisco | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is broken? That is my idea. Go to any junkyard and get new gauges out of a mustang (Has to be a 5.0!!!) and buy some white faced gauges while your at it. Then everything will work and look better [Smile] Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, the reason why your gauge is broken is because behind the cluster is a set of wires/spring coily things/and plugs. One of those damn things is busted so just fuck all the hassle and get another cluster.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I forget which one it is, but the connection to the sending unit is either shorted to ground or not connected to the sending unit at all. The sending unit is located on the very top middle of the gas tank, but there is a wiring harness you can access under the bumper that has 4 wires.... two are for the fuel pump, 2 are for the fuel level, check out these two wires by unplugging the connector and making sure there is resistance between them. I forget the range, but its 80 ohms to 150 ohms or something like that. Sorry I'm sketchy on the details, its been a while [patriot]
Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I forget which one it is, but the connection to the sending unit is either shorted to ground or not connected to the sending unit at all. The sending unit is located on the very top middle of the gas tank, but there is a wiring harness you can access under the bumper that has 4 wires.... two are for the fuel pump, 2 are for the fuel level, check out these two wires by unplugging the connector and making sure there is resistance between them. I forget the range, but its 80 ohms to 150 ohms or something like that. Sorry I'm sketchy on the details, its been a while [patriot]

This is the correct answer, as opposed to the other [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its not your sending unit or its wireing its most likely this little wafer looking thing behind the gauges. instrument cluster has to be removed and part dissambled to get to it. not sure what it called exactly. its a 40 or 50 dollar piece from ford. good luck
94dropteezyGT
¯
Member # 2385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94dropteezyGT  Ford pictures for 94dropteezyGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for yalls help ill tell my friend..

--------------------
" and im out... half a blunt hangin out my mouth speedin' like a demon on 101 south..."

R.I.P. Nicholas Bowley
R.I.P. Mike "Biggie" Aguilar

Posts: 159 | From: san francisco | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry to bring back the dead, but I'm having a problem similar to this, only my gas guage works only some of the time. Would it be the same problem?

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com