Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » KEY QUESTION

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: KEY QUESTION
98snakebite
¯
Member # 1295

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 98snakebite  Ford pictures for 98snakebite    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I lost my only key for my snake about two months ago. So i took it to the dealership and they had to search for the key code of the original on the ford website. They took forever to find it. Anyway they had to cut me two new keys. Everything was good again. Two months later my old set shows up in my mailbox. (some nice people after all) Today I picked up the old set by accident. I try to start the car, alternator sounds fine, ignition isnt kicking in, car will not start. After a dozen attempts it finally dawns on me that I have the old set. So I go get the new one and after one attempt car wil not start, second attempt it starts. Wanted to be sure so I tried a bunch more and everything was fine . Im pumped but a little confused because the dealership never changed anything in my ignition or ever went into my car. Right after I put the old key in and car starts but immediately shuts down. I look over the two keys and they are different, but how can they change the keys and not change the ignition slot. Is it something to do with the computer or what. Anway im done. [Confused]

--------------------
98 black on black cobra coupe
K&N filter
Bassani X-haust cat-back with Bassani X-pipe w-out cats
4.10 FMS gears
Pro 5.0 shifter
Steeda Pullies
BBK long tubes on the way
New Suspension coming soon

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's called PATS, or Passive Anti-Theft System. Your ignition key is coded to the anti-theft system in the computer. If the key's signal doesn't match that of the PATS, the car won't start. The dealer didn't do anything with the ignition or the profile of the physical key--it's all done within the computer.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they had to reset your computer when you got the two new keys, then it doesn't "know" about your old ones.

You can follow the key programming instructions in the owners manual so the old key(s) and openers will work on you reprogrammed computer.

Ed

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com