Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99 Cobra HP Problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99 Cobra HP Problems
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got back from Apex Motorsports with the worst news. My rear wheel HR is 235. 235 wow what a crappy day. The car just had a tune-up. and according to SVT (FORD) the car has had the "Fix" intake honed, cat back, and computer flash. I have an appointment for Monday to take it to Frontier Ford. any ideas on what i need to say or mention? I am not under warranty 60K+ miles.
all help will be appreciated.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Posts: 148 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who did the tune up? What did they set the timing at? Sounds like they just robbed you of about 40 RWHP. Sorry dude - I can imagine your disappointment. Maybe the guys at Ford can redo the tune (if they didn't do it in the first place).

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you test the air fuel ratio as well? Can you post the graph so we can see what it looks like?
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I changed the plugs, fuel filter, all fluids with Redline, but the timing has never been adjusted. Do you think that could be the problem? Bill said that could be a problem too the timing and the timing of the cams, but he has never seen a 99 with such a low output. I have the appt. monday so i hope they can run a diagnostic test to see why i am being robbed of all that power. and yeah i'm pissed.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

as for the air/fuel, it is pretty even,Bill said it looked fine.
It starts at 15@2500 then drops to just below 13 at 3000 and stays even until 6800.
I don;t have my scanner set up so i can't get it up right now.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

91GR40LX
¯
Member # 1329

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91GR40LX  Ford pictures for 91GR40LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What type of spark plugs did you replace, motorsport? What type did you put it?
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would do a compression check, then add soem headers and some pulleys. What gears are you running?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree, do the comp test. You could be down a cylinder, I mean that is a 4 year old motor and stranger things have happened to newer motors that were ragged on.

235 HP sounds consistent with the following compression results:

1: 180
2: 175
3: 180
4: 185
5: 180
6: 175
7: 0
8: 175

[Whoo Whooooo!]

j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

the plugs are motorsports. as for the comp check thanks i think i will do that tomorrow, i was hoping the car would be running strong for the cruise tomorrow, but I guess that isn't going to happen. Thanks for giving me some angles to think about and check.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

What type of motorsport plugs should i have? I just pulled the one i have and they are 32C's are these the right ones? maybe i was given the wrong ones.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

ok so i got he car back from Ford and the car has had the "fix" and it is fine. the tech told me that ford just made lots of mistakes on the 99 and that their is nothing that can be done. he said that i should talk to Bill at apex and see if he can figure out what is wrong. or have the engine rebuilt. so i have no idea what i am going to do i gues i just am the stupid ass owner of a slow ass Cobra. this f'n sucks. any ideas?

I will call Bill tomorrow see if he has any ideas. Someone said it could be a bad/clogged cat?

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish I could see the graph [Frown]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j_yates78:
ok so i got he car back from Ford and the car has had the "fix" and it is fine. the tech told me that ford just made lots of mistakes on the 99 and that their is nothing that can be done. he said that i should talk to Bill at apex and see if he can figure out what is wrong. or have the engine rebuilt. so i have no idea what i am going to do i gues i just am the stupid ass owner of a slow ass Cobra. this f'n sucks. any ideas?

I will call Bill tomorrow see if he has any ideas. Someone said it could be a bad/clogged cat?

If it was your cats then your OBD II should have figured that out...Thats what the four O2's are for..Are you getting any codes from the EEC?...What were the results of the compression test?...

235rwhp isnt that bad [Frown] ...Thats what I shooting for, with my stock heads and cam '94 302 [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ February 25, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Junior put down 275 - 280 with his 99 cobra stock and now with full exhaust just topped 300. He had the "fix" done before he bought it. Good luck with yours

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, you took your Cobra to Frontier and the tech said it was fine, it's had the fix, well, that means that the car was checked for codes, air fuel ratio, 02 switching, etc. Bill said that air fuel ratio looked good. It would seem that the problem might be outside the motor? Aside from the shitty dyno #'s how deos the car feel on the street? Cold it be somthing stupid like debries in the air filter intake, could the rear brakes have been draging on the dyno run. could your drive line be sucking up more power than it should? Restricted exhaugst? You can check that by hooking up vacume guage and seeing if the reading drops significantly as rpm goes up.Good luck

[ February 25, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

OK i was able to get the dyno and the compression tests scanned. I don;t have the skills or the knowledge to understang them more than Chinese so your help is definately appreciated. The dyno looks like the power starts to drop off at 5K rpm but i should be getting power strong through 6800 right? Bill mentioned cam timing could this still be the problem?

How do i attach the files?

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Stimson
_
Member # 51

www.californiafords.com/album Click on member's photo album and then click on upload.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i could pick one of FOrd's biggest mistakes it would eb this car. Too unpredictable. I would never own a car where the whole bunch had problems from the factory. I sure hope you could get it fixed if not I think you'll have fallen victim to a Ford lack of proper testing before releasing a vehicle which I hope never happens again. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

OK i uploaded the dyno to the phot album. let me know what you think the problem could be.

Thanks Jason

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

something definitely shit the bed at 5200

edit: image not working.... damn

[ February 25, 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For comparison, my stock dyno on my 01 also has HP starting to fall off after 5100 RPM, but it starts and stays higher than his through the curve. My car gets really rich at 6200, something I'll fix with a chip when the warranty runs out.

-

--------------------
2001 Cobra Vert #678 of 3384
269 SAE rwhp 279 Tq stock
2000 Cobra R #154 of 300
395 SAE rwhp 398 Tq
1986 Mustang SVO daily driver

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

I just called SVT and they said that the car is mine and that i have no warranty to worry about and that the cats could be clogged. Does this sound right with the dyno sheet and the A/F? They said that an x pipe or catback could gain that horsepower loss back plus more. That all sounds good but what do you all think?
the car has 60K+ miles, do cats go bad that quick?

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt add mods to "gain the horsepower back and some". Fix the car properly, meaning make your car put out the power it should be putting out, right now without adding mods.

After you figure that problem out add a densecharger cold air and an off road exhaust consisting of long tubes a shorty h pipe and some spintech mufflers. [patriot] Good luck with her.

--------------------
Support our troops!

j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Does anyone have any other ideas about he low HP? or how to fix, or gain that horsepower?
StreetStang37
¯
Member # 935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreetStang37  Ford pictures for StreetStang37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does the car actually feel like its running like shit? Was it a Mustang dyno? Race a car similar to yours in trap speed from a roll on the freeway (you dont have to really race, just long enough to check). If you keep up good or run even or even beat it then your car is ok. Might be nothing. I seen cars make "320 rwhp" run dead even with another car that has "285 rwhp" (same weight).

--------------------
1993 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Trick Flow Heads, Street Heat intake, 3/8in spacer, E303, TFS 1.7rr & 6.75 pushrods, Holley 190lph fuel pump, 24# injectors & sample tube, SVO timing chain, Aeromotive AFPR, 180* t-stat, 2 5/8 Auto Meter mech fuel pressure gauge, K&N, March Ram Air & Pullies, Black Magic Electric Fan, 73mm C&L MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 1 5/8in Equal Length Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2in H-Pipe w/hi-flow cats & Flowmaster 2 1/2in Cat-Back Exhaust, FlowTech Cut-Outs, Nitto DR's, 3.73 gears, FMS Aluminum DriveShaft, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Pro-Shift Lite, 9mm FMS Plug Wires, PowerSlot rotors, PowerMaster 140amp Alt., LX lights, Cobra R hood w/SVO scoop, Saleen spoiler, Cobra Bumper, MaCh1 paint scheme, 3in chrome tips

Posts: 88 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com