Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Timing Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Timing Question
Venms1
¯
Member # 2284

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venms1  Ford pictures for Venms1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On a stock car with minor bolt ons (92 5.0), where should my timing be? Im currently 12 degrees advanced at idle. Is this correct, or should I be revving my engine when setting timing? Any input is appreciated. Thank's (Excuse the ignorance, but I'm learning here.)
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you take out the SPOUT connector when you measured your timing?
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can safely run 15 degrees with premium gas. But yeah, make sure the spout connector is removed.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where is the Spout connector on the 94-95 GT's located. I'll be working on one this weekend.

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's DDLY SNK:
Where is the Spout connector on the 94-95 GT's located. I'll be working on one this weekend.

I think the connector for you car is on the passanger side next to you air box

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Venms1
¯
Member # 2284

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venms1  Ford pictures for Venms1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What does the spout connector look like? Where is it? This is probably why I'm having a difficult time with my timing. Assuming the spout connector is removed, should I check my timing at idle?
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Venms1:
What does the spout connector look like? Where is it? This is probably why I'm having a difficult time with my timing. Assuming the spout connector is removed, should I check my timing at idle?

yes you check your timing at idle
even if you rev the motor the timing does not move

if your cars is later then a 94 the connector is right next to your distributer

you will have a wiring harnes goin to your distrubter right next to it will be 2 wires wich will have the conector on it you just pull the gray or black TAB out while the car is off

then with it removed turn the car on, set your timing, turn it off and put the connector back on
and your all set

[ February 21, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: 99gt-UJSTLST ]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Venms1
¯
Member # 2284

quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
quote:
Originally posted by Venms1:

yes you check your timing at idle
even if you rev the motor the timing does not move

if your cars is later then a 94 the connector is right next to your distributer

you will have a wiring harnes goin to your distrubter right next to it will be 2 wires wich will have the conector on it you just pull the gray or black TAB out while the car is off

then with it removed turn the car on, set your timing, turn it off and put the connector back on
and your all set

Thank's I know exactly what you're talking about now. I appreciate all the help.
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

no problem [patriot]

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
quote:
Originally posted by J's DDLY SNK:

I think the connector for you car is on the passanger side next to you air box
Thanks, hopefully I get to time it right this time. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com