Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Good Roll bars and install in bayarea?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Roll bars and install in bayarea?
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know of a good place the will fabricate and install a 6-8 point roll bar at a good price. My car should be in the mid 10's this season, just want to get it ready.
thanks
tony

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maier Racing in Hayward does nice custom cages.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I checked out Miair racing just wanted to see what else is out there before I spend $1200.
thanks

--------------------

93ex-chp
¯
Member # 1688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex-chp  Ford pictures for 93ex-chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
probably be cheaper to buy the cage then have someone u know weld it for u
Posts: 267 | From: san leandro | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

A friend did that but paid a shop to install and coat and the cage he purchased did not fit correctly so the welder had to modify. I heard its better to get the cage made for your own car.
Any other places out there that will build and in stall a roll bar.
Thanks for the info.

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pay for the higher quality!!! Maier does a cutom cage on every car to fit it's exact needs and improve it in every way. You order just a set of roll bars to have them and it won't be half as good. You get what you pay for. As has been said it costs to be the Boss [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My motto "Do it yourself" Its not that hard we've started on ours if you wanna see pics Click on the link....
http://community.webshots.com/album/54862747cERCmi

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Its alot easier if you have a convertable!
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wouldnt suggest wasting your time in any of those universal cages you can find for almost nothing. as far as cages go, i know of no place better than maiers in hayward. they just finished a cage on an 01 cobra convertable. it looked and fitted perfectly with the top up or down. they did my roll bar in my fastback and it fits perfectly as well -almost looks factory. my roommate is one of the best welders in the bay area and he has does quite a few alston cages. after the 350 you pay for a cage, the labor to have someone put it in and pray the main hoop is straight, it clears the top, the door bars are even, all that shit, and have it still look like a shopping cart, you might as well pay the 1200 and get a nice powdercoated cage.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you have a "custom" car you wouldnt need a "custom cage" unless you needed some more extra stength. Any cage setup would work the diffence is in the material and the thickness.

--------------------
Support our troops!

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

I havn't heard of any other place to go. I will be going to maier racing. just wanted to see what else is out there.
thanks everyone with the replies.

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
although i know you want a custom cage S&W racing sells great cages specifically for mustangs. i just ordered one and had it installed by ABC mufflers in Benicia (the guy has worked on many race cars). it fit perfectly and cost about half as much as it would have been. you could come by and see it sometime
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have the skills do it yourself. just make sure the cage you order is made of quality peices. cause saftey isnt something you should half ass.
who is the person thatrolled there camaro at the track awhile ago. and got out basicly unharmed due to the cage [Confused]
roll gage = [worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recommend either Maier Racing in Hayward or Performance Fabrication in San Carlos. Both do great work. Performance Fab will have better looking welds, though, but they're pricier.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
(although i know you want a custom cage S&W racing sells great cages specifically for mustangs. i just ordered one and had it installed by ABC mufflers in Benicia (the guy has worked on many race cars). it fit perfectly and cost about half as much as it would have been. you could come by and see it sometime)

Check this link out of a S&W cage. The vehicle is sold and long gone but it worked for this car.

http://www.netwizards.net/%7Ethndr50/rollcage.html

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
93Snyper
¯
Member # 1058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93Snyper  Ford pictures for 93Snyper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Couldn't you just have painted the cage before it went in? [Confused]

--------------------
Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get an estimate from performance fab. and compare.
Hey Bill, I had a cobra R brake conversion done at
Apex, 1992 silver LX works great thanks again.
tony

--------------------

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about a Maximum Motorsports Roll cage. Here is the link; http://www.maximummotorsports.com/autopower.asp
and
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmdrrb.asp
Check them out, maybe you will like.

Josh

Let us know what you finally go with and how it came out.

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

I check out MM roll cage, I was just looking for local shops in the Bay area that would fabricate and install, don't want to deal with that install.
thanks

--------------------

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you cant paint it before it goes in because you would have to take the paint off to weld.
Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i know of no place better than maiers in hayward.
I'd say what I've seen from Harris fabrication in belmont looks better than maiers. Maier doesn't seem to weld the top half of the bar.
Jim does fab work for that guy "trbo50" (his car is pretty slow but it looks nice) and if you've ever seen a nice looking purple chevelle around the san mateo- burlingame area.. he put in that cage too.

just a question, but you only need a 6 point bar to be legal into the 10s?

Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tony, stick with Maier. Can't wait to see it done. On the track that is.....

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Unless you have a "custom" car you wouldnt need a "custom cage" unless you needed some more extra stength. Any cage setup would work the diffence is in the material and the thickness.

Have you ever seen a custom cage in a 5.0? I've seen many off the shelf cages/bars and also have had 3 custom ones myself and custom is DEFINITELY the way to go.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The problem I have with Maier racing is that he likes to do the "low" door bars which are NOT legal and he will not install and swingout bar from what I hear. [Frown]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com