Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » grinding in reverse

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: grinding in reverse
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i put my car in reverse it makes a grinding sound. everything is new (cluch, trans. etc...) what could it be? possibly a minor adjustment?
THANKS

Mustangfiv0
¯
Member # 2231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangfiv0  Ford pictures for Mustangfiv0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine does the same exact thing, people tell me its normal for the reverse in the mustangs, i have an 88, what i do is put it in 5th gear, then put it in reverse, and it dosnt grind any more. try that it works for me peace

--------------------
Hp cost money, How much are you willing to spend???
http://www.geocities.com/supra1on1/mycar.html

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Possibly could be a syncro going out or already gone out.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the t-5 try first then reverse also blip the engine to about 1200 rpm.
i never grinded the reverse since i bought the car
try it. [Wink]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
5project stang0
¯
Member # 2082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5project stang0  Ford pictures for 5project stang0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no its nothing, everybody i know with a 5 speed has the same thing, its just the synchros. When you want to pop it in reverse simply go to 5th gear and then straight down to reverse and you wont have that problem.

--------------------
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

1989 bronco with a 8 inch lift...GONE
1972 camaro split bumper....GONE
1994 bagged and shaved s10....GONE
1989 mustang....GONE
whats next?

Posts: 887 | From: Livermore, Ca | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Reverse is an Un-Synchroed gear....but i think its on the same shaft as t5th gears so when you stick it in it matches whatever speed you were at on that shaft and then easily slides into reverse....mine does it tooo and so does every other Mustang with a t5 lol

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks i had to make sure i wasnt killing the tranny too soon
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have to make sure you are completely stopped first. Then shift THIRD, and go reverse. It's like butter and faster than first or fifth. (If you're in a hurry- U*turn or something)

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get something other than a t5 and you will be fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just go 5th to reverse and its all good
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First to reverse always works for me. Make sure you're not rolling when you do it either.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Mustangfiv0
¯
Member # 2231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustangfiv0  Ford pictures for Mustangfiv0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
First to reverse always works for me. Make sure you're not rolling when you do it either.

What happens if ur rolling???

[ February 09, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Mustangfiv0 ]

--------------------
Hp cost money, How much are you willing to spend???
http://www.geocities.com/supra1on1/mycar.html

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mustangfiv0:
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:

What happens if ur rolling???
It will grind.

--------------------
Support our troops!

azl
¯
Member # 2112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for azl  Ford pictures for azl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
reverse in T5s isn't synchronized. that means there is nothing to slow down or speed up the gear when you shift. when you are in neutral and the clutch is out, all of those gears in the tranny are still spinning at 800 RPM, they just aren't bound to the wheels. when you jam it into reverse, all the little dog on that gear teeth collide and round off until they slow enough to engage.

it's normal. shift straight from 5th or 1st to reverse when stopped; don't shift to reverse when moving forward. if it grinds too many times then it will break, just like every other gear. every T5 in the world will do this, world class, non-WC, or WC-Z. if you don't like it I think the T-56 does have a synchro'd reverse gear.

--------------------
Daniel
94 canary yellow GT

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

thanks [Smile]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com