Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Where and how much for SVO heads/intake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Where and how much for SVO heads/intake
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would the SVO heads and intake be a better route than the 99+ heads for my 98? Where and how much would this setup run me? What type of gains would i be lookin at, would these heads be better to run a s/c with? [Confused]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ummmmm, are you talking about the 4 cylinder mid 80 SVO's [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont they make some heads for my year, 96-98? another way to go besides the 99 PI heads.... Thought i read somewhere about it? [Embarrassed] [Confused]

--------------------

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe svt [Confused]

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GR40coupe:
maybe svt [Confused]

Could be, for som reason im thinkin SVO had some shit out there for my car? LOST here man! 99 PI heads arent the only heads out there for my SLUG are they?

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMFAO, you are meaning SVT [Big Grin]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98StangPower:
dont they make some heads for my year, 96-98? another way to go besides the 99 PI heads.... Thought i read somewhere about it? [Embarrassed] [Confused]

Yes Ford did come out with a different set of heads for the 96-98 Mustang. All though the heads showed improvements over the stock heads for the 96-98 GT's, they didnt not improve power as much as the 99+ heads. So technically, there are 3 head options for the 4.6L SOHC V8. The 96-98 stock heads, these SVO(i believe you were right saying SVO and not SVT) heads that were still round in port. And then the 99+ PI (power improved) heads. So right now, the best heads for a 4.6L SOHC V8 are the 99+ PI heads. So if you want to upgrade...might as well go with the 99+ PI heads rather then paying money for heads that arent even as good.

I am right...i'll even find the article in either MM&FF or 5.0 Mustang for anyone who desires. LOL, im jk, but that is 1 location that will back me up.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Could be, for som reason im thinkin SVO had some shit out there for my car? LOST here man! 99 PI heads arent the only heads out there for my SLUG are they?

You're right. If your car is a GT, Ford Motorsport SVO does make heads for your car. I have a set sitting under my bed. Whether they're a better route than PI heads, depends on who you ask. I don't have the mechanical knowledge to give advice on either, but I can tell you that the SVO heads are expensive. A new set will cost you about $1800... good luck
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
According to 1 of the 2 magazines I stated above, they are not as good as the new 99+ PI heads. The magazine said, they were an improvement to the stock 96-98 heads, but still had the oval shape unlike the rectangle shape in the PI heads. The magazine said the PI heads were the way to go.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bang for Buck the PI heads/intake off a '99 are great..The performance level of the Ford Racing (SVO/SVT) Heads/intake are about the same as the PI's from '99+, but are a lot more money..Both will work well with a S/C..

For prices and more info try.....
Houston Performance(281)893-6080

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Andrew WOT
¯
Member # 1249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew WOT  Ford pictures for Andrew WOT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FRPP SVO heads overflow PI heads, but good porting can make them even, especially if you go with oversized valves.
http://www.foxlakeracing.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Fox%20Lake%20Modular%20Motor%20Heads]http://www.foxlakeracing.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=Fox%20Lake%20Modular%20Motor%20Heads
So pricewise I'd recommend PI. Plus afaik SVO heads are a bitch to tune because they lack swirl dam and require either FRPP computer or really good tune, may be even 4 bank chip like Diablo to alter program code.
You probably will be able to get Bullitt intake cheaper than SVO. Bullitt will not work on your 96-98 heads w/o modifications, but bolts on PI no problem, get 2001+ (Windsor) heads so you won't be needed to deal with oil neck on the passenger side interfering with air inlet tube.
Check http://www.fordracing.com for SVO stuff.

[ February 04, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Andrew WOT ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com