Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gasket for stock H-pipe?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gasket for stock H-pipe?
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just at Michel’s muffler ready to do the swap of my o/r h-pipe to the stock pipe. I was told that I would need a gasket? I called Friendly ford and was told that there is no need for a gasket..It’s pretty much just metal-to-metal. Don’t know if Michaels was trying to pull a fast one or what. Never heard of a need for a gasket. Anyone know what’s up with this? Oh yeah he Michaels wanted $45 (labor) plus the gasket witch he said was around 35-45 buck. [Eek!]

Oh yeah i have a 96Gt the oen with 6 cats on the h-pipe.

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no, you dont need a gasket...its just a ball and dlange joint...just bolt it together

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93venom:
no, you dont need a gasket...its just a ball and dlange joint...just bolt it together

96 GT's do come with a gasket on one header (passenger side I believe).
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i do need a gasket then? That sucks. Thanks for the info guys. [patriot]

--------------------
California Notary Public

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

You guys know were i can get this gasket? Like i said above i called Ford and they don't have one. Called pep-boys & Kragen and still no luck.

--------------------
California Notary Public

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did they tell you they didn't have one or that they didnt make one? When I put my H-pipe on I went down to ford and the guy said ford did not put a gasket there, which was funny seeing I just took the stock pipe off and had it with me. He then printed out the expanded view diagram and they dont show a gasket for the passnger side. If you dont have one now then I dont see why you need one.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call the company that makes ur o/r pipe, they might now where to get the gasket, the gasket should be the same for both pipes, and u only need one like the other guy said, and he is right, it is the pass side, good luck, i have done the same swap on the same car about five times, put the cat pipe back on is such a pain in the ass on the pass side, everything is in the way, on a 97 anyway

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So does anyone know if you have to put the 6 catted pipe back on to pass smog or can you just use the later year that only uses 4 cats?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have a 97, but both my Highflow x and my OR H came with gaskets. Find the diamter of the stock pipe and go to Kragen or where ever and get a generic exhuast gasket for that size.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
bmxer
¯
Member # 1222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bmxer  Ford pictures for bmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just changed my h pipe on my 96gt. the passenger side has a metal gasket, i just reused the old one.
Posts: 212 | From: cerritos, ca | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your car does need a passenger side gasket for the h-pipe... Just go to your local Ford dealer and walk up to the parts counter and ask for it... I paid like 6 or 7 bucks for one... Do not use the gaskets that are supplied with the aftermarket h-pipes (they are made of paper), as they always tend to burn up prematurely... Always use the metal gaskets from Ford...
Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

I went to Frontier Ford yesterday and order the gasket. It came out to 20 bucks for just one. I really hope that one is all I need. Thanks for the help guys.

--------------------
California Notary Public

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com