Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » New Gears - Track this weekend?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New Gears - Track this weekend?
JdubO7
¯
Member # 1973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JdubO7  Ford pictures for JdubO7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok this is probably a stupid question but I always feel better with some feedback. There are now 400 miles on my new gears and I am itching to go to the track this weekend. By the time I drive up to sac. I will hit about 500 on the nose. Rearend specailties said to change the fluid after 600 miles. Do you think running hard at the track will cause any problems, shorten life of rear end/gear, or any other misshaps? I haven't been to the track before and am wondering if myabe I should break in the gears more.

--------------------
Dynomax Mufflers/Headers/Pullies
65mm TB/76mm MAF System w/K&N
Hurst Short Shift/MSD Ignition
Electric Fan/3 Core Radiator
Ford 3.55's

Waiting in living room for install:
King Cobra Cluth

Looking for deals on:
Pony Rims w/tires
130 - 200 amp alt.

Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I rec'd the same info on gears, I changed my fluid several times before 1000 miles just to be safe. Try feeling your rear cover after 10 mins of frwy driving and see if it's still hot. Usually it can get over 150deg during brake-in.

If the temp is not too bad, I would change the fluid and go to Sac. Enjoy!

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it worth the couple hundred bucks to risk it, on my truck i have gone through 11 rear ends, not a mistype, i really ment 11, very expensive, very big pain in the ass, went to different axle si it would never happen again, put 1k on them and then go, wait a week and mayb e save time, hassle, and oh yeah MONEY

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drove about 100 miles on myne and about 10 heat cycles, was racing on myne that night!

--------------------
Support our troops!

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, you are fine man. the day i got mine put in, i went streetracing. that included doing 100+ on the freeway to stay with the "pack". this was 2 years ago [Smile]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the gears are set-up correctly there is no real need to change the oil...I would recommend changing the oil, just to get those few extra metal shavings out...
Think about it...Mustangs came from the factory with no beak-in period for gears...the Ford service interval for rear axle fliud change is 100,000mi or never...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea, but they arent meant to run 300+HP w/4.10's and sticky tires!

I touched the rear-end several times during break-in, and that shit was HOT!! like a valve cover!

Off the subject, I just had my 4.10's (R.S. installed) swapped by a ford mechanic for sum 3.73's. When removed, he said the install was too tight & one of the shims was cracked in 1/2!?!? No idea how long it was like that though.

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think rear end specialties tells you to change the fluid after XXX miles so they can milk more money from you.

Think about it... do new Mustang owners have to change their fluid???

I didn't change my fluid for 60,000+ miles after I got the gears. 10 miles after I got my gears installed I was chirping 2nd gear up and down the street. This was 80,000 miles ago and everything has held up fine back there [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com