Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » possibly a stupid question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: possibly a stupid question?
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey what are the factors in the engine that make you pass smog? is it only the cam and if so what size cam can you have? i know the E303 will pass but its not very big. what should you do if you want a bigger cam?
THANKS

Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's not a stupid ?, but the answer is not simple. Many things will affect smog, it's usually a "combo" that will or won't pass. I passed with: stg 1 TFS heads, Cobra intake, 24lbs injectors & a Lunati cam(224 dur. 512 lift) plus headers, MSD, pulleys etc... The smog levels were well below all tolerances. I also had brand new cats, that will also make a difference.
If your Emissions system works well & you have mild heads, that cam should pass fine. If you want a bigger cam, what heads are you running with them?? In my experience, you existing combo and performance goals chooses your cam.

What heads/intake do you run now?

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also like Tyrant89 said, brand new cats that work good can make a big difference. If you still have your stock H pipe with all 4 cats, here is what you do to make sure you will pass smog. If you have a little bit of money to spend(to insure you will pass) take out those original (4) cats becuase they are really really small, and replace them with bigger ones. My mechanic used some cats that were for a GM truck, but any cat that is much larger will work. With my stock h pipe, i was seeing about 170 hydro carbons, after taking out just 1 of my stock cats, and using that GM truck cat, my hydro carbons dropped to about 80. With just replacing 1 of them. So if you can, replace all 4 of the cats with bigger cats that are meant for hd applications.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yea, btw that will just help with out the exuast part of smogging, visual and egr valve working is another part of passing. But atleast for passing the tail pipes part of the smog test, that will work.

Josh

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah im not too worried about visual. i am thinking about a motor for the future. thanks for the ideas
MechanicMorgan
Member # 2471

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for MechanicMorgan  Ford pictures for MechanicMorgan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey, for california smog inspection, isn't it instant failure if you tell them you have any modifications to your engine?

--------------------
http://www.afswheels.com/v2/CustomerCenter/customerphotos/{E90A1E30-97ED-49D6-B7BD-8366222213E1}/{2CD848 4E-11CC-4AE2-8D89-A9776626B7E3}_Pic2a.jpg

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the cam question it all depends on lobe seperation in the cam itself.

The stock four cat h-pipe will do just fine for passing the smog test. If your having real big problems passing just slip the guy some extra cash to pass it for you.

--------------------
Support our troops!

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

i passe dwith the bassani high flow cat system and a motor thats making over 400hp [Smile]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com