Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Alternator......

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternator......
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 160 Amp Alternator which the regulator has gone bad on it and the one thing i have disliked about the alternator i have now is that it doesn't give me 160 Amps at low RPM only at 4,000rpm which i hard every get near in my Jeep anyone know of an Alternator that has high Amps at low RPMs?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
I have a 160 Amp Alternator which the regulator has gone bad on it and the one thing i have disliked about the alternator i have now is that it doesn't give me 160 Amps at low RPM only at 4,000rpm which i hard every get near in my Jeep anyone know of an Alternator that has high Amps at low RPMs?

Do you have pullies?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have them but i took them off a long time ago. i would like to put them on and still keep the same amp output

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Powermaster alternator with an Optima battery [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Find the SMALLEST diameter alternator pulley you can.

What guage wire are you running from the alternator to your battery?

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
quote:

Find the SMALLEST diameter alternator pulley you can.

What guage wire are you running from the alternator to your battery?

i had to do the wire upgrade for the bigger alternator i think its 4 guage wire. I guess i could get a smaller alternator pulley and then throw my underdrive pulleys back on. Theres no way to replace the regulator in my alternator huh? I just have to buy a new one damn thing is expensive though.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure what alternator you have so I have no clue about the regulator. 4 guage wire is plenty for your setup. Just make sure all the connections to your alternator, battery and grounds are solid and secure.
darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson's pulley suggestion will definitely help. Just remember though that you're going to be spinning your alternator faster than it was designed for and therefore you will most likely be shortening it's life.
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Yeah all my connections are good i think its the regulator but one thing i notice it likes to jerk the volts around when its wet so it could be a slipping belt? i don't remember the last time i replaced the belt. I was driving to my friends house after playing 3 hours of pool in dublin and it was insanely foggy last night and my headlights flashed the entire way back to San Ramon. It sucked cause it was hella hard to see and it was a whined road.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com