Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How much?
CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an oil leak coming from it look like the O-ring/ rear main seal area. My car is a 96' Superchared (10lb w/ aftercooler) Saleen S281, thinking this is the problem. How much to get this fixed and would anyone be willing to give me a hand in doing this or would I need a professional to do it? thanks

David

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a lot of work, but pretty basic.
If you can drop the trany, you can change the rear main seal.
A shop will charge too much for the job.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is not a difficult job like pony said, just takes quite a bit of time.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

bmxer
¯
Member # 1222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bmxer  Ford pictures for bmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got the same problem, and got quoted 700 bucks
Posts: 212 | From: cerritos, ca | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the steps involved are the same as a clutch job. If your crank has a groove in it, you should sleeve it with the fel-pro kit. I made the mistake of not doing this on my car. The hardest part of the job? Probably getting the T45 put back in.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would much rather do the rear main seal than the oil pan seal.

Either job requires a lot of initiative to start. I'd estimate 6+ hours on jackstands for the rear main seal. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the help, damn called around and can't find anything less than $700. Anyone willing to do the job for some cash, let than $700 of course?

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do side jobs, but I'm in Sac.
Do you run longtubes? That makes the job a bit more time-consuming.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

nope, shorty JBAs, if you are thinking about doing the job how much would you charge?

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

$250 & you supply the parts.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Sounds like a deal, ya I think I can spring for the $10 part. [Big Grin] I am guessing there is no way for you to come down here. The only reason I ask is because my cars starts heavily smoking after driving for about 20 minutes? If not, I can tough it out and take breaks I guess. thanks Shaun.
David

[ January 28, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: CustomFastbackCA ]

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

....I'd rather not go down there. I have all the tools neccessary here.
It's also a good time to change the trany fluid if it's been a while.

E-mail me at sperry5375@earthlink.net & we'll set something up.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

BTW, are you sure it's not blowby that's making the rear main leak? If so, a new one will leak after just a few WOT blasts.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
BTW, are you sure it's not blowby that's making the rear main leak? If so, a new one will leak after just a few WOT blasts.

How would you check if it was blowby? Would you need to do a leakdown or compression test to determine it? Or would you need to just steam clean the hell out of the engine to see where the car leaks.

I'm pretty sure its the rear main though...the car leaks slightly for a minute or two after its shut off.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

no not sure, you mean from crankcase pressure?

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Yes, pressure in the crankcase.
A leak-down is a good test to see just how much % of the air-charge is going by the rings pressurizing the crankcase.
Does your dipstick pop out?

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

ya

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

& it smokes like crazy....
You have other more serious problems.

Did it start smoking gradually, or for the most part, all at once?

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

pretty much all at once

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

My guess is you have at least one broken ring.
Changing the rear main seal is a waste of $$$. Save up for a shortblock or rebuild.

How much detonation were you getting?

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

none that I know of, haven't once once heard any pinging. Just passed smog test with flying colors. Car drives fine. Actually selling the car, you think for sure it is rings.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Also just curious, some guy was selling his 2000 SOHC engine, if I could get that, how long would the engine swap take, and know anyone who would do it, I'll probably ask Starkey too? And how much
?

[ January 28, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: CustomFastbackCA ]

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Never done a mod motor swap.

Hmm....I think you should dig deeper into what's causing the pressurized crankcase.
Check ALL lines that see boost. Pay close attention to the PCV. You could have a bad PCV that's letting boost go right into the crankcase.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

I took it into Speed Merchant to double check what we have been talking about. If it turns out to be as you have expected, I might just do a motor swap. Chuck said he got his motor swap done for 500 and so I could get away with only a $1500 blow for the whole thing, probably a little more just knowing what happens, but that might be an option.
I am having them look at the PCV. Also, I remember when I checked for codes on my car recetly, it threw up that cylnder #2 was missing, but it doesn't do it all the time, because my check engine like is always off. If it was crankcase pressure and I wanted to fix it, would repairing the PCV be fine, or if not what else would I have to do, I know you have a nice setup to release pressure in yours'.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

I took it into Speed Merchant to double check what we have been talking about. If it turns out to be as you have expected, I might just do a motor swap. Chuck said he got his motor swap done for 500 and so I could get away with only a $1500 blow for the whole thing, probably a little more just knowing what happens, but that might be an option.
I am having them look at the PCV. Also, I remember when I checked for codes on my car recetly, it threw up that cylnder #2 was missing, but it doesn't do it all the time, because my check engine like is always off. If it was crankcase pressure and I wanted to fix it, would repairing the PCV be fine, or if not what else would I have to do, I know you have a nice setup to release pressure in yours'.

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com