Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Best price on BBK long tubes?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best price on BBK long tubes?
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a 2000 4.6L SOHC 2V
Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try www.summitracing.com

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, find the cheapest price in a Mustang magazine and have Summit price match it.
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool...thanks guys...I think I found someone who has a used set w/ under 1k on them for $350, I'll check those out first.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure the header studs aren't broken. The ones BBK uses are weak and easy to break. I also got mine used and had to run around looking for replacements. Finally found Mr. Metric in San Jose that carried replacements. They raped me $15 for 2 studs, 4 nuts and 4 washers.
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Make sure the header studs aren't broken. The ones BBK uses are weak and easy to break. I also got mine used and had to run around looking for replacements. Finally found Mr. Metric in San Jose that carried replacements. They raped me $15 for 2 studs, 4 nuts and 4 washers.

You can say that again, I broke 2 off of myne putting my smog pipe on. [Mad] Had to use an easy out to get them out. Then just got long bolts tach welded to the flange and then use 1 nut to tighten it down. Screw those studs.

--------------------
Support our troops!

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dean I woul look into the Hookers they have the slip fitting on the passanger header which will allow you to remove the clutch and throw out bearing without having to pull the whole header off.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Thanks Mark, I'll really look into that.
black_demon
¯
Member # 196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for black_demon  Ford pictures for black_demon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
crazy97stang is sellin bbk longtubes in the ford sale section .. 375 ..
Posts: 112 | From: san francisco - cali | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

quote:
Originally posted by black_demon:
crazy97stang is sellin bbk longtubes in the ford sale section .. 375 ..

Ya, we've been in contact...having second thoughts though...install is gonna be a PITA.
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kooks has longtubes for the 4.6 now. 1 5/8 primaries and either 2 1/2 or 3 inch collectors. Uncoated $600, hpc ceramic coated $750. On a headswaped 97 gt, stock shortblock and ported heads they saw a gain of 22rwhp and 21rwtq OVER the BBKs. You can change the clutch without removing the headers.
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dean,

Install is a bit of a pain, but if your going to do headers go long tube. I have the BBK's and if I were to do it again I would probably go hooker due to the tranny/bellhousing clearance. I'm swappping my clutch/flywheel right now and I had to pull the passenger side header off to do it. (It's been a big PITA) This isn't necessary with the hookers because they clear the tranny.

A couple of other things to consider in your case are:

1. Ground clearance. Your car is pretty low and you'll lose some ground clearance with the LT's.
2. Because of the supercharger, A/F ratio is more critical on your car. LT headers move the O2 sensors farther away from the exhaust outlet, and cause the O2 reading to the computer to be delayed. This can affect the ability of the computer to maintain A/F ratio as effectively. (My car was throwing a code for the first couple of weeks after my LT install saying that O2 reading was delayed, but it seems to have learned around it. The code isn't being thrown anymore)

Eric

To answer the original question. Brothers Performance has ceramic coated BBK LT's for $499. H-pipe sold seperately. Price of the H-pipe depends on whether you get catted or non-catted.

[ January 23, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Bullitt208 ]

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Hey Eric..I remember you and Kev did the install without a lift...just curious, how long did it take you guys?

Thanks for the info by the way...it helps.

Bullitt208
¯
Member # 441

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt208  Ford pictures for Bullitt208    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VortechSaleen:
Hey Eric..I remember you and Kev did the install without a lift...just curious, how long did it take you guys?

Thanks for the info by the way...it helps.

I used two ramps and two jackstands to get the car in the air. I also used two floor jacks to support the eninge and get the k-member out. The first time I did it it took about 12 hours total. I've done the job 2 1/2 times now and I've gotten a bit faster. I could probably do it in about 6 hours. With two people doing it the first time, and using only hand tools, expect 10-12 hours. Make sure you have everything ahead of time, like good gaskets, O2 extenders, and the correct bolts with lock washers. I reused most of the original studs, but there are two or three studs that interfere with the down tubes so I purchashed some metric bolts and lock washers to use in the palce of those. The BBK supplied hardware is too short and will strip the threads out of the heads. [Mad]

Eric

Posts: 297 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chuck do you have a link for the info on the kooks, Thats some big gains over the BBKs. My guess is that was with the 3inch collectors and 3inch exhaust and some boost [Smile]
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
Chuck do you have a link for the info on the kooks, Thats some big gains over the BBKs. My guess is that was with the 3inch collectors and 3inch exhaust and some boost [Smile]

The Game from the corral told me this. Maybe you could email him and get the dyno sheets? That looks like too big of a gain IMO
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com