Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2.3L to v8 swap ...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2.3L to v8 swap ...
black_demon
¯
Member # 196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for black_demon  Ford pictures for black_demon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone have any info on how to do this swap? any websites where i can get some reference?
Posts: 112 | From: san francisco - cali | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
black_demon
¯
Member # 196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for black_demon  Ford pictures for black_demon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no one has dropped a 5.0 in a 4 banger??
Posts: 112 | From: san francisco - cali | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah my boy has done it you got to change the wiring harness the motor mounts, not to hard to he would know more than i would ive never done one i'll have him post the steps.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and i take it you talking about a fox body correct [Confused]

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need: engine mounts, exhaust, pcm, trans, rear end, right side engine bay harness, V8 cluster, and a few other things to do It over completly there is another topic of V8 conversion where I put in more Detail.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
MadMax79
¯
Member # 1970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MadMax79  Ford pictures for MadMax79    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my '79 has had a 4 to 8 swap, took my dad about 6 mo off and on to get it all done. every thing had to be swapped, comp, gas tank, new motor and trany mounts, you name it, it was probably swapped. he went from a '79 to '88 motor and tranny swap [burnout]

--------------------
'79 Indy Style Mustang
w/ '88 5.0 HO from a wrecked CHP

Posts: 15 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want a 4 banger chasis and body for a starter, I will sell you my 88 notchback for $50. Missing hood, front bumper, and rear bumper. Rest of car is completely gutted, all though has complete stock suspension and braking system (except without the brake pedal). Let me know if you want to buy it, cause saturday it goes to the junk yard. Oh yea, also has rims along with brand new tires!

Josh

(925)548-8520

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
96Forged281
¯
Member # 2158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96Forged281  Ford pictures for 96Forged281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my buddy has a 93 with a 4cyl in it and said i couldnt buy it and drop in a 8 cause the rear end was different and the suspension couldnt support the extra weight of a v8 is this true?? or would it be worth it to get this car dirt cheap and drop a 5.0 in it

--------------------
96 Stang GT Convertible Looks Stock =)

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a V8 cross member with control arms from an 88 GT that I want to give away. Let me know.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
SLOpony
¯
Member # 2298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOpony  Ford pictures for SLOpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 4 Cylinder cars don't seem too bad to me as long as you can get all of the V8 engine components cheap and you do the swap yourself. The suspension is different but i don't think it's a mandatory swap if you're putting a stock morot in there. You could make a little bit sleeper with the 4 lug axles. Good luck [Smile]
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you like to actually drive your car rather than wrench on it for months, save some cash and buy a POS 5.0 and fix it up. Much simpler. I put a 5.0 in my turbo 4 SVO and it was a pain in the ass. It's sweet as hell now, but how much is your time worth?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com