Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Verdict on my broken motor

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Verdict on my broken motor
Rebel79
¯
Member # 31

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebel79  Ford pictures for Rebel79  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well everyone and their mom, including myself, thought that I blew a rod about a month and a half ago. The motor is torn apart now, and it wasn't a rod. The stock harmonic balancer (only 4 years old) broke in two. The bearings are shot, crank kinda messed, and the rods stretched. [Frown] Here are some pics of the teardown.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra

308, Vortech S-trim 11psi, E-303, ported GT-40 heads, port matched intake, 70mm TB, 80mm MAF, MSD 6AL & BTM, and several other goodies.

Founder of Rebel Racing

Posts: 48 | From: Concord, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
Rebel79
¯
Member # 31

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rebel79  Ford pictures for Rebel79  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the option of a stroker, but it looks like I won't even have enough money to keep the 308! [Frown] So I will probably have to go with a 302 with a stock bottom end and a new TFS cam. The person loaning me the money for the motor decided to screw me at the last second so thats probably going to cost me 2-3 thousand when I try to sell the car when the motor is done.

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra

308, Vortech S-trim 11psi, E-303, ported GT-40 heads, port matched intake, 70mm TB, 80mm MAF, MSD 6AL & BTM, and several other goodies.

Founder of Rebel Racing

Posts: 48 | From: Concord, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks! All the more reason for you 94-95 owners out there to get an aftermarket harmonic balancer as soon as possible. Even more so if your running a blower that puts more side loads on the pulley...I think I have some picture of my balancer (luckily I caught it in time) that I will post. For the most part, you will start to see the rubber spacing start to pull away from the center section of the balancer..it will become more imbalanced and the deterioration will begin...eventually the balancer will separate and KAPOW..there goes your lower end... [Frown]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com