Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog places suck

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog places suck
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Today i went to go get my car smogged and it passed with flying colors, which surprised me. The only thing was is they wouldnt let me pass the visual because i had a breather cap on my valve cover. So they ended up chrging me $10 for a new oil cap and then let me pass smog. That sucks i dont see why i cant pass smog with a breather, obviously it didnt affect my emissions. They need to get rid of this visual inspection crap. Funny thing is they didnt bother to check if i had cats so i could have had a off raod pipe and passed, well except for the stupid breather.
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, visual is a joke. It just proves that the whole SMOG program isn't about cleaning up the air or what your car pumps out. They just want you to follow procedure and give the government money.
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When dmv ispected my car after it was totaled, Had the chrome Mac Cai on there, and the guy passed it. I didnt understand that one.

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the feeling - mine passed with flying colors, but the guy failed me because I have 42lb injectors. I took it somewhere else...passed with no problems
Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A cold air intake doesn't affect any emmission equipment and is completly legal, a breather affects the pcv system that is why they messed with you but the reson they did that was because they saw an easy $10 upsell on you that the shop gets not the goverment.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i guess so, how did the shop know u had 42lb injectors? I didnt know they even look at that stuff
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
96Forged281
¯
Member # 2158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96Forged281  Ford pictures for 96Forged281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a shop in the modesto area doesnt do visuals

--------------------
96 Stang GT Convertible Looks Stock =)

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j0eyabs:
yeah i guess so, how did the shop know u had 42lb injectors? I didnt know they even look at that stuff

It was Advanced Autosports in Oakland.....a "so-called" Mustang shop.
Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I passed with 30# injectors at a state-run shop (test only).

The guy asked me about the injectors and I said I had painted them, lol.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Geez..that sucks. I've read a couple of posts that the smog inspectors are actually counting the color of the injectors as part of the visual test..which is real [BS flag] .

Are we required by law to buy injectors from Ford in the first place? That would be my first question to those guys (ford injectors are color coded). What if I were using lucas or bosche(sp?) or some aftermarket brand of injector? Will those manufactuers be required to color code them to a ford color chart of something? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
A cold air intake doesn't affect any emmission equipment and is completly legal, .

It does not have a carb number. therefore when smog comes the car fails the visual.

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
A cold air intake doesn't affect any emmission equipment and is completly legal, .

Nothing is smog leagal without an carb or executive order #. I belive the only carb legal intake is teh K&N FPIK or whatver they call it.

LOLOLOL at Shade Tree I will have to remember that.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a universal CARB kit you can purchase. Its garunteed to make any automotive part CARB approved:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35121

I've noticed Sears and Summit selling the same thing in a different box for twice the price.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com