Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Free horsepower???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Free horsepower???
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are some ways to get free or cheep horsepower out of my 5oh.I was thinking of porting my intake,pullies,bypassing the powersteering and a/c.My timing is already at 12.
Im trying to run my car as fast as i can with minimal mods.And can you tell me from your expierence what you picked up or you think you picked up.
Thanks for any replies..

Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't port your heads/intake yourself unless you have experience in that area or a spare set of heads lying around [Big Grin]

most novice head porters make the situation worse.

However, porting the stock lower intake is pretty painless and can offer some gains.

electric fan (not free)5+ HP
underdrive pullies (not free)8+ HP
timing (free) 2-5+ HP
less weight (free) heh
ice on the intake (not free) couple HP at the track
bypassed PS and smog pump (short belts are not free) easy 3-5 HP bypassing the PS
180 thermo (not free) seems to help run a tad cooler/richer for a tad more HP
ram-air, worth a few ponies at the track, not good for your motor to breathe gravel though.

That's basically it for the free/cheap stuff.

Add gears and slicks to this and you can probably squeak a high 12 second pass so go for it. [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How to port your own heads.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/homeporting/index.shtml

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you could take off your air silencer. its on the inside of your passenger side fender.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you could get a K&N filter which is about $40 and then exhaust is cheap, get some flows or whatever sounds good to you that's not too expensive and an O/R pipe is always a great addition then get your gears and run some N2O and that's about it for cheap unless you take everything out of the car and drop tons of weight. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
OFFROAD PIPE
¯
Member # 1607

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFROAD PIPE  Ford pictures for OFFROAD PIPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Mike, Ill let you borrow my car for free, that should be some free horspower. JK bro... [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
ARGUING ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS, EVEN IF YOU WIN, YOURE STILL RETARDED.

Posts: 864 | From: Anaheim Hills, | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PseudoCobra:
you could get a K&N filter which is about $40 and then exhaust is cheap, get some flows or whatever sounds good to you that's not too expensive and an O/R pipe is always a great addition then get your gears and run some N2O and that's about it for cheap unless you take everything out of the car and drop tons of weight. [patriot]

Did you read the title of the post? He said FREE. Nothing you mentioned in your post is free unless you steal it. K&N, o/r pipe, flows, gears, and N20 isn't exactly cheap, and its definately not free.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing to 14*. Most 5.0's run very well there.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
home made ram air from the fog light hole on the passenger side, 6 " vent tube running up to the 6 inch hole you'll be cutting in the fender well and factory airbox with a KnN and a 70mm mass air sensor off a junked sc thunderbird and you'll gain
20+hp... [Wink] .
thats what i did and it kicks ass...oh and my timing is a 18 degrees of 91+ turbo 108 octane booter... [Eek!]
-Street-

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
p.s.
nothing is free and by removing the air silencer
you'll see like .5 hp on a stock 5.0
but there are cheap ways to gain hp.
ebay...used shit [Big Grin]

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
ebay...used shit [Big Grin]

I heard that [burnout]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the only "free" things you are going to get are pumping up the timing somemore and losing weight off the car. Your best bet would be to prcatice your driving technique if you want to get the most from the least [patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for your help guys.Hey street you can help me port my intake cant you?? And i consider myself a pretty decent driver i drove my bone stock gt to a 14.7@95.
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best free thing you can do for your car is practice racing it [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

porting the lower intake with the stock upper is only worth like 5 hp if that but yeah it free. [burnout]
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Hey street you know who donnie is dont you? With the yellow vega he wants to give my friend an 1/8th mile head start.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

sounds like a good race..are they racing the streets or irwidales 1/8?
i think he said it runs 10's.
and 7.60 at170mph in a pro stock 68 camaro..
theres always someone faster out there right? [burnout]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com