Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Peak power

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Peak power
moponys
¯
Member # 1370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moponys  Ford pictures for moponys    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just double checked my Dyno sheet from the Mustang Ranch to see where my peak power was being made and noticed that max hp was being made at only about 4200rpm. could this be right with the mods I have?

--------------------
94 GT convertable:TFS twisted wedge heads, TFS street intake, Lunati cam .500/.510 218/226, BBK FPR, BBK shorties, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm, ASP pulleys, FRPP 3:73, Transgo shiftkit, Flowmasters, Bassani x-pipe, K&N CAI, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 9mm wires,24lbs injectors,190lph fuel pump, MSD cap and rotor, 18" wheels w/street tires, Dyno Tuned AutoLogic chip From Byron, Trickflow phenolic spacer, 180* Thermostat, 2500 converter.

moponys
¯
Member # 1370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moponys  Ford pictures for moponys    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah numbers were:

236 rwhp
260 rwtq

--------------------
94 GT convertable:TFS twisted wedge heads, TFS street intake, Lunati cam .500/.510 218/226, BBK FPR, BBK shorties, BBK 70mm tb, Pro-m 75mm, ASP pulleys, FRPP 3:73, Transgo shiftkit, Flowmasters, Bassani x-pipe, K&N CAI, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 9mm wires,24lbs injectors,190lph fuel pump, MSD cap and rotor, 18" wheels w/street tires, Dyno Tuned AutoLogic chip From Byron, Trickflow phenolic spacer, 180* Thermostat, 2500 converter.

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds right to me. If you had the track heat intake and heads, that would be a different story.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
5PT SLOW
¯
Member # 638

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5PT SLOW  Ford pictures for 5PT SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with that cam. you should be going all the way up to at least 6,000 rpm.

but peak power should be up there as well..

Posts: 553 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but his heads and intake arent made to go that high?????

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
5PT SLOW
¯
Member # 638

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5PT SLOW  Ford pictures for 5PT SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well maybe. you really cant feel where your peak hp is. i do know that cam feels power at that rpm. that cam is really close to anthonys. right about 5800 is when you feel hp cut off.

thats just my guess, a dyno tune and the tuners may say different. it just seems kinda low for his mods

Posts: 553 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow those numbers seem pritty low for having all those mods..

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats. You've found the reason why you #'s are so low.

There are a bunch of things you'll need to check.
1. Check for restrictions in the intake/exhaust system. For example: A 70MM TB on a stock intake w/a 60MM opening would be a restriction. Clogged cataletic converters would be a restriction...etc.
2. Make sure you're getting enough fuel. The dyno sheet should have the A/F ratio at the bottom. Make sure it isn't going sky high after 4200rpm. It should stay constant, or close to it.
3. Check valve-timing.....you'll need to have the cam degreed to see were the valves are opening/closing. Too far advanced will cause the motor to peak early.
4. It could be valvefloat (although I highly doubt it). Weak springs will cause the motor to peak early.

You should be peaking in the 5400-5500 range with that setup.

*edit* Remove that intake spacer, it's doing you more harm then good.

[ January 17, 2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Something is restricting your setup for sure. A stock 5.O will make peak power at just under 5000 RPM. check out my stock motor dyno graph:

-

My setup was an AOD with stock stall, flowmaster mufflers, K&N, under drive pullies and an electric fan.

I'm sure your air fuel ratio is fine since Byron tuned it.

Is your torque converter a lock-up type?
What does your graph look like after 4200 RPM?

If you want to compare your setup to a T5 car... 20% drive train loss for the AOD so you'd be making 246 rwhp if it was a T5 car. You HP should be climbing for another 1000-1200 RPM, so it looks like you're making great power until you hit that restriction at 4200 RPM.

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Something is definitely wrong....you should be making alot more power than that. Did you tune it on the dyno? or is it a mail-order chip?
Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm moponys but my login from home is twstd50:

my air/fuel ratio is completely flat throughout and was measured at 12.8

Actually the peak power was at 4400 now that I have my graph in front of me. After 4400 it just dives down.

The chip was burned while on the Dyno at Mustang Ranch but Byron and Joe. The timing was left at 10 and fuel pressure was set to 38ps1 I believe.

Could it be that I need a valve adjustment? The heads were put on about 1.5 years ago and haven't been touched since.

The one thing that is strange is that the car does seem to pull still after 4400 rpms.

I'm gonna bring it back to the place that did the work for me unless you guys know of another place or someone that can do the work.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

oh yeah...

If my plugs were all screwed up, could this be messing me up too.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you post a picture of your dyno graph? What RWHP are you making at 5400 RPM?
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish I could but I don't have a scanner...I might go to kinko's and have it done tonight.

At 5400 rpms my hp is at 225

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Can you just post your HP level at every 200 RPMs interval? Much less hassle than driving to Kinkos [Wink]

What kind of H pipe do you have on there again? Does the motor burn any oil? Is the valve train quiet?

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

I feel like a dumb ass but on my dyno chart there are big gaps in the line graphs for air/fuel, hp, and tq.

example --------- --------- -------

but they're not flat of course.

The peak hp may look more like 4800rpms.

Here is how it is every 200rpms:

2800 - 122
3000 - 130
3200 - 145
3400 - 160
3600 - 175
3800 - 185
4000 - 195
4200 - 205 There's a gap here
4400 - 215
4600 - 225
4800 - there's a gap here all the way to about 5300 rpms.
5400 - 225
5600 - 215 There's a gap again.

Joe and Byron from the mustang ranch said either their program or printer was screwed up.

I'm still gonna go to kinko's to get is scanned so you guys can see it.

The valve train is kinda loud. I had brought it back to my mechanic about 2 weeks after the heads/cam and other stuff was done and they said the noise I was hearing was the rr's clicking around and it was normal...but is doesn't sound normal to me...but then again I'm not a mechanic.

I have a bassani x-pipe with cats.

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

-

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Thanks for emailing me your dyno graph:

-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com