Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how much hp w/30 lb injectors???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how much hp w/30 lb injectors???
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much hp are 30lb injectors good for on a supercharged motor?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is an FMU used? If so, how much fuel pressure will be pumped through the 30 lbs injectors under full boost?
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know. The FMU im using right now is for 24lb injectors. Ive got a 255lph intank pump, ill probably also be using a T-rex inline pump. I heard that my FMU raises the pressure to 80psi under boost. I want to run about 10lbs of boost with my A-trim. Ill also have minor bolt ons-headers, intake, throttle body, etc.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You really have to know how much fuel pressure you're pumping through the injectors to calculate how much horsepower they'll support.

If you haven't bought the T-rex yet.... get the WALBRO inline fuel pump instead. It flows more than the T-rex and you can never have too big of a fuel pump or fuel system.

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

ok, so with the walbro inline, a 255 intank, what should I set my pressure at, and at that pressure, how much hp can I safely push?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much boost psi are you planning to run at full boost? What ratio is your FMU?

--------------------
"Funny how cheap ass people have money to do it right the second time, haha!"

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

about 10lbs. I think that is all I should run with an A-Trim. Im not sure what the FMU ratio is. It came with the supercharger. I was told its for 24lb injectors though.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have stock heads, cam, intake....you can run the 30lb injectors without the FMU, but you'll need a chip. They'll support about 350rwhp.
Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Terrance, its actually 350 flywheel HP for a boosted application and 30 lbs injectors at 40 psi.

Figure a stock 5.O motor with 10 lbs of boost will make anywhere from 290-330 rwhp... more likely somewhere right in the middle (310rwhp), so yeah, 30 lbs injectors will get him by with a custom chip.

On a boosted car, 30 lbs injectors with a small FMU that will spike fuel pressure to 60 psi will be safe at 375 rwhp.

[ January 17, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

So I should probably just go with 36's? I want to have around 380-400hp eventually.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

36's will take you to 380ish rwhp just fine with out an FMU and 450-475 rwhp with an FMU, provided you're using a Walbro 255 lph intank and 225lph inline pump.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
using this table here---16x19lbs=304hp
---16x24lbs=384hp
---16x30lbs=480hp
---16x36lbs=576hp
this is how much the injectors can take or pistons rather. [Roll Eyes]
-Street-

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

With all due respect, that 16X "rule" is complete BS. I bet the guy who came up with that joke 16X injector rule is rebuilding his short block right now after a lean condition burnt a hole in his piston.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, its hersay buddy i just didn't pull it outta my ass [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Terrance, its actually 350 flywheel HP for a boosted application and 30 lbs injectors at 40 psi.

Figure a stock 5.O motor with 10 lbs of boost will make anywhere from 290-330 rwhp... more likely somewhere right in the middle (310rwhp), so yeah, 30 lbs injectors will get him by with a custom chip.

On a boosted car, 30 lbs injectors with a small FMU that will spike fuel pressure to 60 psi will be safe at 375 rwhp.

I've seen several boosted 5.0 with 30's and no FMU (chip tuned by Byron) making in the 350-360rwhp range and doing fine. Duty cycle was in the 90% range. Keep in mind - you wont be at WOT all the time so a duty cycle this high is not really a problem.

With his combination of parts, 30's will be fine.

Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
True, you can get it done with duty cycle in the 90%+ range... but I don't like that and would never recomend it to anyone. I'd rather build it right the first time than barely skim by. This is especially try for a power-adder car where there is little to no room for error when it comes to fuel delivery.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com