Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » blew a head gasket... leakdown test?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: blew a head gasket... leakdown test?
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, my Novi LX has blown it's first head gasket (whoopee... [Roll Eyes] ). Before replacing, I was thinking of having a leakdown performed, too see how the rest of the motor is holding up.
What am I looking for here??

Is it best to change or even O-ring both heads now to be safe?

I'm running stock boost on a Novi 2K right now and don't plan on changing the pulley.

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
O ringing heads in out dated and poor 5.O "technology". A little history lesson..... back in the good 'ol days people use to run blowers pullied for a lot of boost on 5.O's and blow head gaskets left and right. O ringing the heads and blaming thin cylinder head decks where two common excuses that were incorrectly used. While these excuses (reasons) are valid for 20+ psi 700+ HP track terrors, it was not the case for street 5.O's like yours. The problem back then? Simple... 30 lbs and then 36 lbs injectors and 190 lph fuel pumps were the biggest you could possible get! To top it off, air fuel ratio meters where rare and people ran too much timing on their MSD BTM's for the given octane and boost level. It took years for people to realize this. Today thanks to proper tuning, big fuel pumps and big fuel injectors, there is no reason to O ring heads on a street 5.O. You'll find countless 5.O's running with out any head gasket problems with proper timing, fuel systems and 13-17 psi of boost with no O rings and cylinder heads considered to have thin decks.

O ringing your head would be a band-aid fix. Be happy your head gasket blew because you ran lean and/or detonated. If you were O ringed, chances are good you'd be in the FOR(D) SALE section right now looking for a new short block! The consider the blown head gasket a fuse that blew because something wasn't right.

So what's your current fuel system? What's your combo? How much timing were you running? Is your cooling system up to par?

[ January 17, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got it. Yea, I remember those days, Paxton had a bearing unit that had to be re-built every year, & Vortech debued as a twin screw!!

Ok, I run 42lb injectors & a 255 pump thru stock lines/rails. Timing is base 8-10(I think). The car was tuned by Byron @ the Ranch. Ran great there. Made 435rwhp & a nice even 12:1 A/F ratio. Heads, intake, cam. Great cooling, runs 170-185 deg.

Two days later, on the same tank of 91 octane gas, the car detonated HARD @ 6K rpm. Joe at the Ranch said the dyno tune was fine, I either changed the car or something has failed. He refused to re-tune for free or discount.

Since then, I replaced fuel filter & ran octane booster. Car seems fine, but I have not ran past 5800. Yesterday, after noticing temp guage fluctuations, we saw that air would would rise out of the radiator whenever revved high. Coolant looks good, oil looks clean.

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com