Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Roush side exhaust ???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Roush side exhaust ???
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In the feature I want to add the Roush side exhaust. I’m just scared if it’s going to be scrapping all over the place. I currently have on the car the Pro-kit and O/R h-pipe and it does scrape here and their. The Roush sides skirts along with the opening for the tip is a few inches lower than the stock side skirt right? Think I might have to lift my car back up in order for it to not be scrapping. I really don’t want to be “stuck” on to of a speed bump. Any helpful input would be appreciated. [patriot]

[ January 04, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: AZTECLX ]

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you gave the pro kit, you should be fine. Do you have the isolaters out? WHat wheels and size tires are you running?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The system does hang low. You have to be very carefull. One little helpfull hint. This side system does not fit most alignment/service racks so you have to mention to who ever that the body kit hangs down. Good luck.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Arent the Roush Side kits notorious for losing hp?? [Confused] [BS flag]

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior:

I don't think he cares. He has a 96 vert. It's probably a 15.3 anyways.
Might as well make it a cruiser

--------------------

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The isolaters are on and I got some 17x8 Cobras with 245/45/17 all around.

Also do you guys know if I’m going to have a problem with the MM subframes that I have on the car? I think I heard that it’s going to take some custom work in order to get the side exhaust installed with the subs in place.

--------------------
California Notary Public

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
quote:

I don't think he cares. He has a 96 vert. It's probably a 15.3 anyways.
Might as well make it a cruiser

Man I tell you if I would of know that the 96gt’s suck big time … I would of not of gotten it. Oh well time to go for Show rather than Go. [Wink]

--------------------
California Notary Public

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:
Originally posted by AZTECLX:
The isolaters are on and I got some 17x8 Cobras with 245/45/17 all around.

Also do you guys know if I’m going to have a problem with the MM subframes that I have on the car? I think I heard that it’s going to take some custom work in order to get the side exhaust installed with the subs in place.

As long as you don't have anything lower tha a 45 sereies side wall you should be fine.
As for the sub frames I don't know.

Why don't you go with a saleen kit?

--------------------

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Well that’s the plan. Front and rear would be Saleen and the sides would be Roush. However I’m still kind of hesitant to see the rear bumper of a saleen with out any tail pipes. I hope it looks ok. Have you seen anything like that before? I’m sure some one out there has done it.

--------------------
California Notary Public

y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all it needs after that is some euro tail lights and a powered by ford banner on the front window

[ January 04, 2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: y2kgt01 ]

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hear side exhaust period is notorious for losing hp not just Roush's kit. I think it would look awkward if you have the cuts for the exhaust and no pipes. A lot of people would notice. I know I would. I like the idea but I don't think it would look right. I would just leave the rear exit and find some different side skirts of your choice or you could find a rear bumper without the cuts. I know wings west makes one but I think it's a little ugly, similar to ROush's but what I think looks sweet is the stock bumper with the CDC Aeroshield attached to the bottom of it. A lot of options out there and those are just my opinions. Do whatever makes you happy but make sure you see the look you like before you get it. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
S281Cobra
NOTAFKE
Member # 338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S281Cobra  Ford pictures for S281Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have any pic's from the back of the car, but I think the Saleen rear bumper looks fine without exhaust tips exiting underneath.

I'll try to take some pic's when I get a chance.

Kevin

--------------------
Italian Horses & Bulls
Stuttgart, Ingolstadt & some on order

Posts: 456 | From: Bay Area, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Doesnt the Cobra R have side exhaust?

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by y2kgt01:
all it needs after that is some euro tail lights and a powered by ford banner on the front window

Don't be an ass. If he wants the saleen kit, with roush sides, more power to him. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
5project stang0
¯
Member # 2082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5project stang0  Ford pictures for 5project stang0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

they look good though, I guess it depends what you want [patriot] I personally want a roush becasue I like how they look.

--------------------
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

1989 bronco with a 8 inch lift...GONE
1972 camaro split bumper....GONE
1994 bagged and shaved s10....GONE
1989 mustang....GONE
whats next?

Posts: 887 | From: Livermore, Ca | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
5project stang0
¯
Member # 2082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5project stang0  Ford pictures for 5project stang0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

they look good though, I guess it depends what you want [patriot] I personally want a roush becasue I like how they look. [patriot]

--------------------
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

1989 bronco with a 8 inch lift...GONE
1972 camaro split bumper....GONE
1994 bagged and shaved s10....GONE
1989 mustang....GONE
whats next?

Posts: 887 | From: Livermore, Ca | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont have side exhaust with a saleen rear bumper with cutouts for tailpipes thats just ricer style.
AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

quote:
Originally posted by y2kgt01:
dont have side exhaust with a saleen rear bumper with cutouts for tailpipes thats just ricer style.

You do what ever you want to your car & I’ll do what ever I want to my car. After all I’m the one paying for the car. [Roll Eyes] and
 - what you think... [Wink]

[ January 06, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: AZTECLX ]

--------------------
California Notary Public

y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

you were asking for opinions, not me.
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In a normal installation, the Roush side exhaust does not extend any lower than the side skirts. If you can handle the reduction in ride height by about the 3" high skirts then side exhaust should not be an issue. The subframe connectors add a complication. The muffler to exhaust tip pipe needs to be modified to fit under the connectors. There are rectangular or round-with-flattened-section pipes do this but it will lower the ride height. I have Roush side exhaust with Griggs lower subframe connectors. Overall it can be done with some customization.

As far as losing hp due to side exhaust - it may be true but the losses would have to be in the muffler. The pipe from the muffler outlet to the exhaust tip is no worse than going over the rear axle.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Thanks for the help Joe.

I think its sweet that he is making his own car. I have never seen what he is doing. Its cool to be different.

Send us some pics of your car when you have it done:
feedback@californiafords.com

--------------------

Ruben
¯
Member # 1088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruben  Ford pictures for Ruben  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would really go with what you want. But, I would also keep in mind the ease of selling the vehicle if done right (mixing kits). I'm not talking about resale value, but the ease of finding a buyer.
The car will sit lower with the side exhaust and the body kit, but it's just a matter of learning how to go up driveways and over speed bumps, those are the main areas of concern. Regarding performance; I really don't have anything to compare it to, because I have always had side exhaust on my 97 (bought it like this). It looks good and sounds good (my opinion), but I have no performance #'s. Also, I'm running 285/35ZR18 profile tires in the rear (18x10)and 245/40ZR18 in the front(18x9). I hope this info helps, Good Luck.  -

Posts: 113 | From: Concord, Ca | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com