Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99 Cobra- exhaust help????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99 Cobra- exhaust help????
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a stock exhaust system on the car now, but i was considering a change.
(Power and Sound)
What are my options for the best system? Bassani, Hooker, shortie headers?
What is smg legal?
How many cats do i have?
What is needed to pass visual inspection? any tricks? Is it worth the tricks?
let me know what you can if not email or PM me, so i can go fast too.

all help is appriciated thanks.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Posts: 148 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
StoplightWarrior
¯
Member # 211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StoplightWarrior  Ford pictures for StoplightWarrior        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want power, get some Longtube Headers w/ matching offroad Hpipe, and a nice catback...I'd suggest simple flowmasters to compliment the hpipe. This is not smog legal, but im assuming you just got the car, so you shouldnt have to worry about that right now anyway. When it comes time to smog, certain people *ahem* can help you pass [Wink]

If you really dont want to go illegal, I'd get a bassani Xpipe w/cats, and a magnaflow catback. Thats what I have on my GT and it sounds sweet. Not too loud, just good sound.

--------------------
2000 GT
couple bolt ons

Check out the website: peep it

Posts: 2952 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
cobra99
¯
Member # 2356

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra99  Ford pictures for cobra99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have flowmaster 2 chamber on my 99 cobra now, get compliments all the time.. it doesnt idle too loud but sounds great when you put it down..

--------------------
'03 10th anniv black cobra convert
steeda tri ax shifter
magnaflow catback
18in chrome adr wheels
tint

Posts: 209 | From: san luis obispo, san jose is my hometown though | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your going to change the h-pipe don't get a high flow cat one because they will always turn on your check engine light put some 2 chamber flows any you'll love the way it sounds especially if you add an off road X with it. just put your cats back on when you smog it.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#3 88'conv:
If your going to change the h-pipe don't get a high flow cat one because they will always turn on your check engine light put some 2 chamber flows any you'll love the way it sounds especially if you add an off road X with it. just put your cats back on when you smog it.

Don't get a high-flow pipe because it will turn on your check engine light, but get an off-road one? [Confused] Son, are you confused. Who cares about that check light anyway, its only a $19.95 mod to fix it anyway...

Well, back to the original post. Realistically how much money do you have to spend and do you plan to do the installs yourself or have someone do them for you? What are your goals for your car? Then we can address how hardcore you want your exhaust to be. Oh yeah, don't listen to STOKED, that guy is a mad man with that damn exhaust...its WAY out of your league [patriot]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j_yates78:
I have a stock exhaust system on the car now, but i was considering a change.
(Power and Sound)

Since a lot of this is gonna be what sounds best to you I would suggest going over to mustangexhaust.com and listening to some different sound clips. I gotta agree with 2000BlackGT - What are your goals for your car and how much are you looking to spend are two of the biggest things you need to address first before you get too far along.

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for everything. What are the issues if you get pulled over? we have some ahole cops down here in the southbay and they always try to f with everyone. for instance two weeks ago my brother was harrassed for having an K&N intake on his expedition it has a CARB number. what kind of shit is that, BS.
so as far as exhaust i am not sure if cops know i need to have 4 cats on there or not so i'm not sure i want to go O/R x pipe. What would suit me for a long time with out needing to upgrade? I hate to waste money because it is hard to find laying around. what kind of gains have you all received from x pipe, LT, cat back? HP gains is what i am looking for not just to be loud actually too loud is bad becasue of the cops out here. all your help is appreciated. thanks

Venms1
¯
Member # 2284

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venms1  Ford pictures for Venms1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a Bassani X with high flow cats and the Bassanni catback with a removed silencer from the tips. I've had this set up for a little over a year and I've never had any problems with the cops. (I also live in Santa Clara)The only problem I do have is a glowing check engine light. But that will get shut off soon. I have a dyno sheet that said I was putting down 290 hp and 291 Tq with a K&N and this exhaust only on my 2001 Cobra. I'm guessing my baseline prior to exhaust and K&N was appx. 269 or 270 based on other stock Cobras.
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info, do you drive a black coupe?
If so i think i saw you this morning.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Venms1
¯
Member # 2284

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venms1  Ford pictures for Venms1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, It's a True Blue convertible with Cobra R's. I only drive it on the weekends though. I'm usually in a silver LX

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com