Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to make chrome BBK headers rust colored?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to make chrome BBK headers rust colored?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, now that I'll have my chrome BBK headers off... how do I make them that nice factory looking rust color like MAC headers become after a few miles? People suggested painting them black and letting the paint melt off taking the chrome with it, but I'm not sure that will work.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just say u had them dipped in chrome...

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sand blaster [Confused]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you serious?...Are they full length's?

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes and Yes [Smile] Anything chrome, shiny and not dirty looks lame under my hood [Smile] I'm a big fan of the Factory OEM look.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Yes and Yes [Smile] Anything chrome, shiny and not dirty looks lame under my hood [Smile] I'm a big fan of the Factory OEM look.

Hey your getting close to 5150 posts, maybe you should do soemthing special for you 5150th post...

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a look in the "high temp" rattle-can paint section for something with a 'rusty' color.

I have become a big fan of painting shit under the hood!

I just sprayed my block 'ford' blue, and the timing cover, and hit the power steering pump and water pump with this ghetto-fabulous 'silver metallic'. [worship] [worship]

(these are the types of things you do while waiting for the summit brown van to show up, lol)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you found the high temp stuff to stay on? I've heard that no matter what, if you paint it, it'll burn off headers.

[ January 03, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no, actually you're right. Only high temp areas I've ever gotten to 'stick' are on the block or the heads (iron).

I bet you're right. paint will never stick to headers. Isn't that the point of 'jet hot' coatings and all that?

ghetto way to "fix" your problem:

grab some rusty coolant. Splash on your headers.

Drive somewhere. Repeat [Big Grin]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mud seems to do a good job in making the headers look OEM rusty.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this an attempt to maybe fool the smog guy into thinking they are stock tubular manifolds?

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you know, you could always find some used stock headers. i have a set about 10 feet away from me [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have them ceramic coted they look like glossy bare metal aluminum and never dull or discolor and still look nice, f!@# that chrome shit all it does is discolor and there is nothing you can do about it accept have it rechromed!!

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
mud seems to do a good job in making the headers look OEM rusty.

[patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

Isn't that the truth

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No need to fool the smog guy, I have factory headers and H pipe on the car. My BBK long tube headers are blue and black, the chrome that is left is dull and its already rusting at parts. My motor is stock and dirty. Chrome headers do not belong under my hood. I'm a huge fan of the factory OEM looking engine.

Will tossing mud on them while they're hot rust them, or just make them look dull until I wash the mud off?

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Leave it on for a little while and it won't just wash off, it will sort of stain it.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cant u just bead blast (the glass sandblasting stuff)the chrome off? then sand them down to raw metal?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com