Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » $1400 to spend... how?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: $1400 to spend... how?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the gears, i got the shifter, I got the exhaust.

How about an intake now and some pullies?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I had $1400....

A set of GT-40 irons($400), 1.6rr($100), a Cobra upper/lower ($300), a E cam ($100), a 65mm TB w/ spacer($125), and a 70-73 MAF ($125)..all used...and all have been for sale here on the board recently. (get the feeling I don't buy new??) [Smile]

Adds up to $1150, factor in gaskets ($75?)..and it still leaves you with enough $$ to buy pizza and beer for your buds who helped you thrash on the car and complete it in one day. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gt 40 irons go for 400 a set??? i thought they were more than that

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im only 18 so maybe just pizza, i like ur idea, everything but the used heads and rockers

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have an 87 saleen?

and pullies are great. i love mine.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll take a set of those GT-40's for $400 [Big Grin] I would have to agree with John B. That sounds like a hella of a plan maybe sone injectors/ pump? Then you would be all ste for a little bottle action!! [Big Grin] [burnout] [burnout] I duno maybe I'm a drunk but the beer did't sound too bad of an idea to me [Wink] [dance]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to nmraracing.com and into the classified section. they have some sick ass deals on intakes etc... but i would work on good heads and rockers (GT40 are ok but i would get better) and a good intake, then work from there if you have money left
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
give it to the "get davids mustang a new motor" fund. were taking all donations as of now [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless someone is really in need of them, you won't get much more than $500 for a set of irons. And for that, they better be fresh...

If you want to put the $$ elsewhere, pick up a set of Eldebrock heads (two sets here for sale now for $700-$800), scrap the rollers and pick up everything else...and a set of pullies! You'll have enough to get the rollers too if you find a cheap set. The beauty of buying used is you nearly always get double your money's worth. Everything on my Coupe is used, save for the upper intake, which I got here on the board. Want a brand new lower Cobra? I got one.. [Smile]

The Iron GT-40's are perfect for a street car, and are still very plentiful. I picked up a set last week for a shade under 4 bills.

There's nothing wrong with buying used...as long as you get it checked out/know what you're looking at!

BTW..with that setup, you won't need injectors..stock 19lb ones are just fine...and yes, a new pump in the tank, along with a regulator, would be a good idea. New pump..about $125...used regulator? About $50..

[ December 31, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heads & Cam [burnout]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

i got my eye on those afr 165's, i'll prolly get those new, along with the performer intake that a guy on this board is selling.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87Saleen:
i got my eye on those afr 165's, i'll prolly get those new, along with the performer intake that a guy on this board is selling.

Please don't take this the wrong way but when I set out to change my heads I started with about a 1700$ parts list and ended up with 3100$ by the time I figured in all the little stuff to do it right like roller rockers, MAF, TB, gaskets, head studs, valve covers etc. It adds up fast man!

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with almost everything john b had to say. used parts are definately the way to go, unless you are starting from scratch and building something radical. i just finished building up my little 331 in my 67 and wound up spending near a thousand bucks just on little things...AN fittings, gaskets, etc...it does add up real fast.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about a NOSzle kit?????

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Agreed- if you are going all out, building something from the ground up, and very radical...go new. Do it once, do it right..go all new. It is very costly though. I built a 383 for a Bigblock Dart I once owned...the heads alone were over $2500 once I was done with valves, springs, porting, etc...

For what you want 87, I'd stick with used items. Unless, of course...you wanna dump mega $$$ into a great set of heads and head bolts! (which is what $1400 will get you...that's about it)

Also, if you want to see what works..what doesn't..start a post about the exact topic...get an idea for what everyone is running as far as combo's go. I think "most" folks here have their cars ironed out as far as build-ups go.
It might help ya out a lil more. [patriot]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are your goals? i guess thats the most important question. lol [Smile]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shit yeah stuff addds up fast!

I thought I was going to be spending only 1200 on this engine, Now all is said and done. And after gaskets and misc. the price was almost 1500. [Eek!] Still a damn good deal though. [patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com